How Long Does It Take for Facial Liposuction Swelling to Go Away?

I am 4 weeks post op facial liposuction. I have under my chin, neck and jowls suctioned. I can see some results and they look pretty good. There seems to be quite a bit of swelling still and the tissue is hardening. Some days though, chin/neck area looks and feels very taught. While other days, like today, I wake up and it is very jowly and puffy-the complete opposite from days before. Is this normal? How does this go on for? When can I expect to see final results?

Liposuction Results?

+1

At four weeks post op,  it is still too early to see the final results of your liposuction surgery.  It will be several more weeks for all of the “swelling” to resolve and several more months (up to a year) for the skin to redrape completely.

I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon (and patience).

Swelling after liposuction

+1

The intermittant phases of swelling and tightness usually last for approximately three months. It really takes 6 to 12 months to see the final result although as you can tell you do already have improvement.The resolution of swelling after surgery varies from person to person, but this is a good general time frame.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after facial liposuction

+1

the amount of swelling fluctuates greatly from day to day, normally, after liposuction.  Many factors create the end result of how much swelling there will be for that part of that day. In what position your head was during sleep, has there been straining to lift heavy objects or with constipation, how much salt intake and fluid consumption have you had, etc. The swelling will get better and better typically but it can take months.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Prolonged facial swelling from liposuction

+1

Facial swelling is commonly worse in the mornings when you have been recumbent all night. Greatly flexing your neck at night can also aggravate this tendency.