No Compression Garment After Lipo

Last week, I had regular lipo on my upper/lower abs and outer thighs but I was not sent home with a compression garment. I was told to bring in a pair of control top pantyhose and when I woke up I had the hose on along with a rectangular piece of foam over the stomach area. I was told to keep the foam in place until my follow-up next week. Is this another form of compression?

Are Compression Garments Necessary after Liposuction?

+1

I would expect that your control top pantyhose with the foam should be fine.  While most plastic surgeons use some sort of compression after liposuction, there have been some studies suggesting that compression garments may not make any big difference in the long term.  I do believe that some compression is helpful, particularly in helping to control theearly posotp swelling that occurs.  However, compression garments that are too tight can cause problems with skin irritation.  Liposuction garments come in standard sizes, and may not fit each body type as well, so a control top pantyhose can be a good option for many patients.  Best wishes.

Michael Vincent, MD, FACS

Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments after liposuction

+1

There are a number of different types of garments available for use after liposuction, and depending on the amount and area on which you had surgery, your plastic surgeon may recommend using a particular one, or none at all. In general, the garments are designed to minimize swelling and improve patient comfort after surgery.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Compression after liposuction

+1

There are different post-operative instructions given to patients by different surgeons. The foam under your control-top hose will apply even pressure to that area but may not provide enough compression to some of the areas that might extend beyond the foam. Compression garments tend to cover a wider area. Some surgeons even use foam and compression garments provided there isn't too much pressure. Whether or not compression provides a better long term result might not be studied well enough to have a definitive answer. I see less bruising and faster resolution of that with the use of compression garments and have several patients that have noted they feel more comfortable in garments during the healing process than without the garment.

Ronald Shelton, MD