Who Can Give Juvederm Injections? What Licensure is Needed?

Who can give Juvederm injections? What licensure is needed?

These laws vary by state

+2

In New York, an injection such as a filler must be done by a physician, registered nurse or physician's assistant provided that the latter by supervised by a physician.

These laws vary by state.

Juvederm injection in Dallas

+1

Injectable fillers (Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane, Radiesse, and many more) are most commonly performed by physicians but, at least in Texas, are also done by licensed medical personnel (such as nurses and aestheticians).

I personally perform all injections of Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane, Botox, and Dysport. As a patient, I would want the most experienced, best-trained person to do my injection.

Ronald Friedman, MD

Juvederm must be injected by a medical professional

+1

The laws vary from state to state, but most states allow nurses to inject under the supervision of a doctor.

Here in Washington state, the medical board is in the process of spelling out exactly what this supervisory relationship needs to be. In general, injections should be in a medical facility where the name of the supervising physician is clear.

In my view, training and experience are the most important things. Some nurse injectors are actually trainers for physicians who are just starting, and some doctors sort of dabble in it while a nurse may do it all day.

Richard Baxter, MD

Juvederm training combined with license

+1

In California, those with a medical license such as physician, nurse practitioner, physician assistant, and registered nurse are permitted to perform cosmetic injections with Botox and cosmetic dermal fillers. Complying with what is referred to as a "good faith exam" is fulfilling current regulations. Although these practitioners are within their scope of practice to do so, this does not imply that they are well-trained and experienced with current techniques. As seen by the many consumer questions and feedback on this website, going to a physician of any specialty does not necessarily guarantee an experienced, skilled injector. When choosing an injector, be certain that they involve you in the treatent plan, the learning process, show photos of actual patients, and stay current with their knowledge base and skills.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Juvederm and Licensure

+1

Who can legally inject juvederm from state to state varies. Generally, physicians, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners aer licensed to perform juvederm. In some states, registered nurses can as well. If you go to a center where the physician is not performing juvederm himself/herself, ensure that the person who is properly licensed, experienced, and properly supervised.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

The answer to the question depends on what state you are...

+1

The answer to the question depends on what state you are in. Some states consider Juvederm administration to be a procedure and limit it to physicians while others are more liberal and consider it similar to any other medicine injection and allow nurses and physician assistants to perform the procedures.

In my opinion, a better question is 'Who do you want to perform your injections?' Juvederm injections are generally performed in the face. While results are generally temporary, long lasting side effects can occur in rare instances. Performing the injections is not a complicated procedure; dealing with the possible complications can be. Physicians who are trained in facial anatomy, such as plastic surgeons and facial plastic surgeons, will be keenly aware of what it takes to get the results that you wish for and can deal with possible complications should they arise.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon