Juvederm Alternatives? Juvederm Did Not Last!

I had wonderful results with Juvederm but the results lasted only a month and a half! I can feel that there is some filler left but not much. My doctor has recommended trying Radiesse but with the very negative reviews I am hesitant.

I am wondering if I try Juvederm again and instead of one syringe, inject 2, if the results will last longer? Would using Juverderm Ultra Plus work better? Any other suggestions?

Juvederm Should Last 9-12 Months

+1

6 weeks does seem disappointing duration for Juvederm. The Ultra Plus is a thicker beaded product that may improve longevity of effect, however, poor duration is more commonly associated with poor placement. Hitting key placement areas is essential for not only improved appearance but also a longer-lasting session. So more product, while further improving correction percentage, may still fall short of expectations. I like to see 9-12 months for my hyaluronic acid fillers.

Juvederm placed properly should last

+1
The first question is where did you have the Juvederm injected? This is the question that precludes the answer. Juvederm in its two formulas Ultra and Ultra Plus Are injectable gels with Hylacross technology that creates a cross linking effect that promotes duration for up to six months or longer in volumizing and correcting deep wrinkles and folds. These products are ideal for many areas of the face. On the other hand Radiesse is a deep dermal filler which I use for facial enhancement. I would not use Radiesse under the eyes as I would Juvederm and Restylane. With not knowing where your injection sites are this is difficult to decipher. I would discuss this information with your surgeon and depending on the proposed area to be treated would then make a decision.

Michael Elam, MD

Juvederm placed properly lasts longer than six weeks.

+1
If your Juvederm or Restylane improvements only last six weeks, it's possible you were undertreated at first, and a lot of your improvement was due to short term swelling, or that the material was injected too deeply and was resorbed into your body faster than necessary.   If you did not, on your first visit, see a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for your treatments, I recommend you do so on your second, in case the anatomical placement of your filler was not ideal, causing you to waste your money.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Stick to Juvederm

+1

It is a great news that Juvederm gave you wonderful results even though it did not last as long. The reason for this may be that one syringe may not have been enough. Radiesse is still a great product to turn to but since Juvederm did work on you the first time around, maybe try using Juvederm UltraPlus since it is known for giving longer and lasting results.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Dermal filler alternative to Juvederm

+1

Patients today have many alternatives when it comes to dermal fillers. Other fillers such as Radiesse will create a longer-lasting result but should be used in a different manner than Juvederm. Your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon was great to experience in facial rejuvenation and in using dermal fillers. They will assess the area that you would like treated and determine which filler will help you meet your goals.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Longer lasting Juvaderm

+1

Juvaderm Ultraplus stays a longer time prior to the body breaking it down. It is individual ly variable but most get 6 to 12 months.

In areas where you have thicker skin and when the injection implant is placed deeper, Radiesse is an excellent product with unwanted side effects.

Remember. For all filler injections it is like building a house especially the first time. The initial amount is the foundation, the latter portion of the injection is the house where you will get vertical dimensions. When you return for additional injections within the appropriate amount of time, there is still foundation left so that less new filler material is needed for the vertical, plumping result.

Lee Kleiman, MD
Annapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

My Juvederm didn't last!

+1

Hi Shesupsidedown,

If you had good results but no duration, then it's certainly possible that you had too little of the product injected. In situations like these in the past, we've often suggested more product usage, but because of financial constraints the patient chose to have less injected. Did your practitioner suggest more initially? If so, then that's likely the best route.

The other possibility is that the product was injected too superficially. There are often other side effects present with superficial injections such as lumpiness and a bluish tint that would indicate whether this is the case or not.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Most likely, the reason is that you need more than one syringe.

+1

If you felt like Juvederm only lasted for that short a time, it is very likely that you needed more than just one syringe to get your desired effect. Also, it is possible that you could have better results with Juvederm UltraPlus rather than just Ultra. In my experience, unless I'm treating very fine lines in a small area, most patients need more than one syringe and UltraPlus is a better choice to get most filling done. I would suggest trying 2 syringes of UltraPlus and see how you do.

As an aside, Radiesse is safe and delivers excellent results. You really don't have much to worry about with Radiesse, although the material does stay in your skin for a very long time, even after the filling effects have dissipated. While it's not harmful, patients simply like to know.

Hope this helps!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Juvederm

+1

Juvederm is a great product that lasts anywhere from 6- 12 months depending upon the preparation used. I prefer Ultra Plus for most areas and this product lasts longer than the Ultra. If you do not see the volume fill that you want, then I recommend getting more injected. Sometimes surgery + a little filler is the best option.