Can I Share a Dermal Filler Syringe with my Friend or Partner?

My husband is having Juvederm injected into his nose. I've always been interested in having my upper lip be fuller, and I was wondering if it was possible to piggyback onto my husband's syringe of filler (to save $$). Is that something that's possible? I doubt he'll need a full syringe, and I only want a tiny bit put into my upper lip. I thought I would ask here before asking the doctor in case this is a totally insane request (and I don't want him looking at me like I've gone around the bend). Thanks!

The quick answer is NO. But, there is an alternative way.

+2

Thanks for your question. NEVER share the same syringe of dermal filler with ANYONE! Ok, that being said, there is an alternative way. Your doctor can take the Juvederm syringe, use a female to female luer lock connector and another sterile syringe, and transfer some of the Juvederm into the second syringe BEFORE injecting anyone. Now you will have two Juvederm syringes and can vary the amount you will need for each person. Attach the needle and you are ready to go! Once any portion of any syringe is injected into any person, it should NEVER be used on another person. Doing it this way before any injections is a way you can split up the Juvederm syringe.

Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Sharing Syringes

+1

It is possible but not advisable to split a syringe with your husband due to the possibility of cross contamination.  Juvederm (just recently) and Restylane come in 1.0 and .5 cc syringes and the smaller syringe can be used if a full syringe is not necessary. Alternatively, an experienced injector can transfer a portion of the juvederm into another sterile syringe prior to treatment.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Do not share Juvederm or Restylane, but you can purchase smaller syringes.

+1

It is absolutely NOT safe to share a single syringe of the fillers, even with changing the needle. If a doctor suggests or does this, it is actually a violation of OSHA regulations. However, for this reason, the fillers DO come in smaller sizes, which may cost more added together than a single one alone, but less than two full sized ones in total.

Ask your board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon if they have these smaller vials, or if they would consider ordering them for you. Be careful though.... you might actually need more than the half-size, and then you will wish you had purchased your own full sized syringe, both for results and for financial reasons!

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Juvederm sharing

+1

You should not share a syringe of juvederm. There can be cross contamination and exposure to another individuals body fluids leading to disease transmission.

Sharing filler syringes is not a good idea

+1

Even though the idea of splitting a syringe with a spouse or a friend sounds like a good idea, there is no reason to risk the possible cross-contamination and possible infection when fillers like Restylane and Juvederm come in half syringes which solves the problem all together.

I hope my answer was helpful.

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist

You can share many things with your husband, just not Juvederm

+1

Juvederm is an excellent hyaluronic acid based injectable that can be used effectively for facial contouring.

Juvederm is commonly used around the lips, the smile lines, the marionette lines, under deep wrinkles, under deep scars, and even under the area of the eye.

Juvederm comes individually and sterilely packaged for just one patient. If you're curious, go with your spouse and ask for the second syringe that will be packaged with his.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Sharing a dermal filler syringe is a bad idea

+1

Can I share the same needle also? NO!!!! It is the same concept. This borders on malpractice and is totally frowned upon in any medical discussions.

From MIAMI Dr. B

No syringe sharing

+1

Even though you trust the health of a partner or loved one, you should never share a syringe of anything. There is the small but possible chance of disease transmission.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Sharing a Dermal Filler: NEVER

+1

You should never share syringes with anyone. You are at risk of infection and disease. A syringe of Juvederm is for one patient use only.

Do not share Juvederm syringes

+1

I do not recommend that anyone share syringes of Juvederm. A syringe of Juvederm is meant for one time use on one patient only. Do not save residual Juvederm. It should be discarded and it should not be shared.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon