What is the Ideal Age for a Rhinoplasty?

What would be the ideal age to get a Rhinoplasty? I'm 15 and really looking forward to getting a nose job done, and have many friends who got one and had good results. I'm not sure if I should have it done now.

Ideal Age for Rhinoplasty

+2

Rhinoplasty surgery is best done after a young person has finished growing.  This usually means 16 for girls and after age 17 or 18 for boys.  Sometimes treatment is appropriate at an earlier age if an internal defect is causing serious breathing problems, but it seems that is not the case here.

As for obtaining good results, I would suggest finding a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.  A facial plastic surgeon limits his practice to surgeries of the face, such as rhinoplasty and facelifts.

Nasal surgery is very personalized, and one of the most demanding of all the cosmetic plastic procedures. Meet with a surgeon that has plenty of experience in rhinoplasty surgery and can show you hundreds of before and after photos.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Ideal for Rhinoplasty Surgery Varies from Surgeon to Surgeon

+2

Several variables should be considered when determining the appropriate age for rhinoplasty surgery. These variables tend to make each patient’s situation unique. As a general rule, it’s important for patients to reach both physical and emotional maturity before proceeding with surgery.
Physical maturity is important for several reasons. Operating on the nose before growth has stabilized can have significant consequences. Under these circumstances, continued growth following rhinoplasty surgery can result in nasal changes that may alter the appearance of the nose. In addition, rhinoplasty surgery performed at an early age has the potential to disrupt facial growth. This can result in flattened cheekbones and even malocclusion.
Emotional maturity is also extremely important. For the most part, this procedure is irreversible and young patients must understand the significance of their decision. The nose is located in the center of their face and their appearance will be altered forever.
Although opinions vary from surgeon to surgeon regarding the earliest age for rhinoplasty, most surgeons feel that an age of 15 to 17 for women and 16 to 18 for men is appropriate. Each patient’s situation is unique and several factors may alter these numbers. In children with congenital nasal birth defects or post-traumatic nasal deformities, surgery may be indicated at an earlier age. In this group, significant nasal aesthetic deformities, deviation of the nasal septum, and difficulty breathing may make early intervention a necessity.
If you’re considering rhinoplasty surgery as a teenager, it’s important to first discuss the issue with your parents. If everyone agrees that rhinoplasty is an option, consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be appropriate. The vast majority of patients who undergo rhinoplasty as teenagers report high levels of satisfaction.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

The earliest age that I would consider is 13 for female, 15 for male

+2

The earliest age that I would consider rhinoplasty surgery for a female is 13 years old, and for a male is 15 years old. Nonetheless, ideally, I like to wait until it’s certain the bony and soft tissue structure of the face is fully matured. Consistent with this, the ideal age for rhinoplasty would be in the later teens.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Late teens ideal for Rhinoplasty

+2

A single profile view is not the full picture. If you want a Rhinoplasty, you should speak with a board certified plsatic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns. Usually I wait until young ladies are 15 or 16 (until they have reached adult size and physical maturity) before I offer them a Rhinoplasty.

The ideal age for a rhinoplasty

+1
Having a nose that is out of character with your face because it is too large, bulbous, large hump can be a difficult issue during growing up and a source of lowered esteem and confidence. Although surgery to re-shape the nose with rhinoplasty can improve the appearance of the nose it is important that other factors are considered:

Teenage years are one of the most challenging periods in our lives. As we develop from childhood to adulthood, our physical appearance takes center stage. Although teenage insecurities are a normal part of adolescence, if a young person’s self-esteem is adversely affected by unsatisfactory facial features, such as the shape or size of one’s nose, then rhinoplasty may provide a solution.

Physical growth of the nose is complete towards 13 to 16 years old for girls and 15 to 17 years old for boys. Adolescents should only seek nasal reconstructive surgery when their noses have reached their full size. Most boys mature later than girls, and this explains why their procedures typically take place later.

Psychology and maturity are important, as are the ability to understand the concepts of surgery with rhinoplasty. Teenagers must determine their reason for surgery and evaluate the benefits and drawbacks.

Consultation and discussion over objectives from rhinoplasty, understanding of the surgery as well as expectations from surgery are important throughout the decision-making process. The teenager needs to be sufficiently mature to cope with the recovery period, which may involve bleeding, bruising, discomfort and swelling.

The nose is one of the key characteristics in a person’s face. Teenage rhinoplasty should be performed with consideration to all of the factors above and with the support of parents or caregivers. In general at 14 years old, this is too young for surgery as a combination of physical, emotional and psychological immaturity will all be relevant at this age.

Julian De Silva, MD
London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Once you are done growing.

+1
It is best to have a rhinoplasty when you are done growing. For a women, this could be as young as fifteen or sixteen. If a young woman has not changed her shoe size in two years she is probably full grown. Estrogen stops bone growth (girls who develop early are usually short; late bloomers tend to be the taller women.) Young men can grow to age twenty one or twenty two. More importantly, their jaws continue to grow which can make their noses appear smaller.
The most convenient time to have a rhinoplasty is a life transition. Between high school and college or college and career. These are natural reset times when you will be making new friends and people are less likely to notice a change in your appearance.

Stephan Finical, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty age ideally

+1
In female they should have already started their menstrual cycle and finished their growth spurt. 14-to 15 years of age ideally.
Boys are not candidates for rhinoplasty until 18-21 years of age because growth spurt occurs later.

Thomas Romo, III, MD, FACS
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is the minimum age for Rhinoplasty?

+1
The minimum age for a rhinopalsty on a boy is 14 and on a girl is 13. Although if the rhinoplasty is being done for correction of a congenital deformity it can be done in an earlier age.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Ideal age for teen rhinoplasty

+1
Rhinoplasty should not be performed until the nose has reached its adult size. This is typically achieved at age 15 or 16 years old for females and 16 to 17 years old for males. However, age is not the only factor that should be considered when determining if a teenager is ready for rhinoplasty. I like to sit down and have a meaningful conversation with all of my teenage rhinoplasty patients, so that I can understand their reasons for wanting surgery, as well as their goals for the procedure. I need to assess their reasons and goals to make sure that the patient is emotionally ready for a surgical procedure and that the teen wants surgery for the right reasons.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

There is no ideal age for rhinoplasty, but 15 is the minimum

+1
When undergoing rhinoplasty it is important that the nasal bones have fully grown. This usually happens at age 15 1/2 for girls and 16 1/2 for boys. Also, even though the parents will be signing the consent, I evaluate to see if the teenager is mature enough to understand the risks of the procedure. So in summary, while there is no ideal age for rhinoplasty - I have performed rhinoplasty on patients in their 60s - the patient should have finished growing and be mature enough to understand the procedure.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon