What is the Ideal Age for a Rhinoplasty?

What would be the ideal age to get a Rhinoplasty? I'm 15 and really looking forward to getting a nose job done, and have many friends who got one and had good results. I'm not sure if I should have it done now.

Ideal Age for Rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty surgery is best done after a young person has finished growing.  This usually means 16 for girls and after age 17 or 18 for boys.  Sometimes treatment is appropriate at an earlier age if an internal defect is causing serious breathing problems, but it seems that is not the case here.

As for obtaining good results, I would suggest finding a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.  A facial plastic surgeon limits his practice to surgeries of the face, such as rhinoplasty and facelifts.

Nasal surgery is very personalized, and one of the most demanding of all the cosmetic plastic procedures. Meet with a surgeon that has plenty of experience in rhinoplasty surgery and can show you hundreds of before and after photos.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Ideal for Rhinoplasty Surgery Varies from Surgeon to Surgeon

Several variables should be considered when determining the appropriate age for rhinoplasty surgery. These variables tend to make each patient’s situation unique. As a general rule, it’s important for patients to reach both physical and emotional maturity before proceeding with surgery.
Physical maturity is important for several reasons. Operating on the nose before growth has stabilized can have significant consequences. Under these circumstances, continued growth following rhinoplasty surgery can result in nasal changes that may alter the appearance of the nose. In addition, rhinoplasty surgery performed at an early age has the potential to disrupt facial growth. This can result in flattened cheekbones and even malocclusion.
Emotional maturity is also extremely important. For the most part, this procedure is irreversible and young patients must understand the significance of their decision. The nose is located in the center of their face and their appearance will be altered forever.
Although opinions vary from surgeon to surgeon regarding the earliest age for rhinoplasty, most surgeons feel that an age of 15 to 17 for women and 16 to 18 for men is appropriate. Each patient’s situation is unique and several factors may alter these numbers. In children with congenital nasal birth defects or post-traumatic nasal deformities, surgery may be indicated at an earlier age. In this group, significant nasal aesthetic deformities, deviation of the nasal septum, and difficulty breathing may make early intervention a necessity.
If you’re considering rhinoplasty surgery as a teenager, it’s important to first discuss the issue with your parents. If everyone agrees that rhinoplasty is an option, consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be appropriate. The vast majority of patients who undergo rhinoplasty as teenagers report high levels of satisfaction.

The earliest age that I would consider is 13 for female, 15 for male

The earliest age that I would consider rhinoplasty surgery for a female is 13 years old, and for a male is 15 years old. Nonetheless, ideally, I like to wait until it’s certain the bony and soft tissue structure of the face is fully matured. Consistent with this, the ideal age for rhinoplasty would be in the later teens.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Late teens ideal for Rhinoplasty

A single profile view is not the full picture. If you want a Rhinoplasty, you should speak with a board certified plsatic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns. Usually I wait until young ladies are 15 or 16 (until they have reached adult size and physical maturity) before I offer them a Rhinoplasty.

What is the idea age for rhinoplasty

16 in women and 17 to 18 in men. This is when the nose has come very close to stopping its growth. Based on your age at the time of the post I WOULD have advised you to wait at least one year, but now that we are in the future, you are 21 and have a beautiful result from your surgery. I would have recommended a slight dorsal reduction with tip refinement sutures and a columellar strut graft to improve your tip projection.

Ideal Age for Rhinoplasty

At the age of 15 or 16 years the nose typically stops changing rapidly. While age is a factor, the type of desired procedure and the understanding of the procedure and its recovery are equally important in the consideration. 

James Green, MD
Santa Fe Plastic Surgeon

Age for Rhinoplasty Surgery

I prefer to have my female patients be 16 yrs-old or older but if a young woman seems mature for her age I would consider 15 (though no younger).   A teen's perspective and thoughts about the results that they seek may change over a few years time so waiting is never a bad thing under most circumstances.  I find many younger patients don't have well thought out specifics for the changes that will make them happy from their nose surgery.  More well-thought out goals seem to develop as teens get older and it's best to "get it right the first time."   

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Ideal age for rhinoplasty

The preferred time for rhinoplasty is after the facial structures have stopped growing.  Maturity is generally somewhere around 16 for females and 17 for males but varies.  Another useful tip is if you are still getting taller or buying larger shoes still, its probably prudent to wait.  All the best!

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

How old must you be to have a rhinoplasty?

A rhinoplasty should not be performed until facial growth is complete. This occurs around the time of puberty, which is generally around age 15-17 in women and 16-18 in men. Each person is different, and you should have your plastic surgeon assess your facial maturity as part of the rhinoplasty consultation.

Lara Devgan, MD, MPH

There is no "ideal" age for a Rhinoplasty.

There is no ideal age for having a cosmetic Rhinoplasty procedure. The decision to have this surgery is a personal one and is usually based on multiple factors - specifically, concerns related to self-image. The best place to start is with a thorough evaluation during a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Here, your questions and concerns can be addressed. Also, your options and potential results may be demonstrated for you using imaging & illustrations, as well as similar cases with before & after pictures.

Frank L. Stile, MD