What is the Ideal Age for a Rhinoplasty?

What would be the ideal age to get a Rhinoplasty? I'm 15 and really looking forward to getting a nose job done, and have many friends who got one and had good results. I'm not sure if I should have it done now.

Ideal Age for Rhinoplasty

+2

Rhinoplasty surgery is best done after a young person has finished growing.  This usually means 16 for girls and after age 17 or 18 for boys.  Sometimes treatment is appropriate at an earlier age if an internal defect is causing serious breathing problems, but it seems that is not the case here.

As for obtaining good results, I would suggest finding a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.  A facial plastic surgeon limits his practice to surgeries of the face, such as rhinoplasty and facelifts.

Nasal surgery is very personalized, and one of the most demanding of all the cosmetic plastic procedures. Meet with a surgeon that has plenty of experience in rhinoplasty surgery and can show you hundreds of before and after photos.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Ideal for Rhinoplasty Surgery Varies from Surgeon to Surgeon

+2

Several variables should be considered when determining the appropriate age for rhinoplasty surgery. These variables tend to make each patient’s situation unique. As a general rule, it’s important for patients to reach both physical and emotional maturity before proceeding with surgery.
Physical maturity is important for several reasons. Operating on the nose before growth has stabilized can have significant consequences. Under these circumstances, continued growth following rhinoplasty surgery can result in nasal changes that may alter the appearance of the nose. In addition, rhinoplasty surgery performed at an early age has the potential to disrupt facial growth. This can result in flattened cheekbones and even malocclusion.
Emotional maturity is also extremely important. For the most part, this procedure is irreversible and young patients must understand the significance of their decision. The nose is located in the center of their face and their appearance will be altered forever.
Although opinions vary from surgeon to surgeon regarding the earliest age for rhinoplasty, most surgeons feel that an age of 15 to 17 for women and 16 to 18 for men is appropriate. Each patient’s situation is unique and several factors may alter these numbers. In children with congenital nasal birth defects or post-traumatic nasal deformities, surgery may be indicated at an earlier age. In this group, significant nasal aesthetic deformities, deviation of the nasal septum, and difficulty breathing may make early intervention a necessity.
If you’re considering rhinoplasty surgery as a teenager, it’s important to first discuss the issue with your parents. If everyone agrees that rhinoplasty is an option, consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon would be appropriate. The vast majority of patients who undergo rhinoplasty as teenagers report high levels of satisfaction.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

The earliest age that I would consider is 13 for female, 15 for male

+2

The earliest age that I would consider rhinoplasty surgery for a female is 13 years old, and for a male is 15 years old. Nonetheless, ideally, I like to wait until it’s certain the bony and soft tissue structure of the face is fully matured. Consistent with this, the ideal age for rhinoplasty would be in the later teens.

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Late teens ideal for Rhinoplasty

+2

A single profile view is not the full picture. If you want a Rhinoplasty, you should speak with a board certified plsatic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns. Usually I wait until young ladies are 15 or 16 (until they have reached adult size and physical maturity) before I offer them a Rhinoplasty.

Ideal age for teen rhinoplasty

+1
Rhinoplasty should not be performed until the nose has reached its adult size. This is typically achieved at age 15 or 16 years old for females and 16 to 17 years old for males. However, age is not the only factor that should be considered when determining if a teenager is ready for rhinoplasty. I like to sit down and have a meaningful conversation with all of my teenage rhinoplasty patients, so that I can understand their reasons for wanting surgery, as well as their goals for the procedure. I need to assess their reasons and goals to make sure that the patient is emotionally ready for a surgical procedure and that the teen wants surgery for the right reasons.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

There is no ideal age for rhinoplasty, but 15 is the minimum

+1
When undergoing rhinoplasty it is important that the nasal bones have fully grown. This usually happens at age 15 1/2 for girls and 16 1/2 for boys. Also, even though the parents will be signing the consent, I evaluate to see if the teenager is mature enough to understand the risks of the procedure. So in summary, while there is no ideal age for rhinoplasty - I have performed rhinoplasty on patients in their 60s - the patient should have finished growing and be mature enough to understand the procedure.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

The best age for a Rhinoplasty would be after age 15.

+1
The best age for a Rhinoplasty would be after age 15.  That is when the bone structure and soft tissue start to mature. For boys it usually is a year later. The patient must also be psychologically mature and have parental support.

David Stoker, MD

Ideal age for rhinoplasty

+1
In most cases, rhinoplasty should be delayed until the facial skeleton has matured. This is typically in the mid to late teens. When rhinoplasty is performed after this stage, it is unlikely that the result will change significantly nor is it likely that the changes from surgery will detrimentally effect facial skeleton development.

What is of equal importance to the physical maturity of the face is the emotional maturity of the patient. When considering cosmetic surgery, it is important to do it for the right motivations-doing it for yourself to look good and feel more confident about your appearance. Additionally, it is important to have realistic expectations about the type of result that can be achieved following rhinoplasty surgery; an improvement in the appearance of the nose, improved balance and harmony between the nose and your facial features, and a timeless result-a result that will look good both right now and in the future.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Best age to get rhinoplasty

+1
The youngest female I will perform a rhinoplasty on is 14 years old and 16 years of age for males.  In the end, these are not hard numbers but there is evidence that midfacial growth is not effected by a rhinoplasty, or more importantly, by a septoplasty where the midface growth signals take their cues from.  The patient must be mature enough to understand the consequences of a rhinoplasty and have to be able to participate in postoperative care of his or her nose on a daily basis.  

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earliest Age For A Rhinoplasty

+1

Every patient matures at a different age.  The goal is for the structures of the face to be mature so that the nose has finished growing, prior to manipulation.  In a girl, 15 years old is around the earliest that a rhinoplasty is performed.  In males, 16 years old for select males.

I usually make sure the shoe size has not changed for more than a year to see if the body is mature enough.  Once the shoe size has stablized, physical maturity of the nose is often realized.

The other factor which is important is the mental maturity of the patient.  Undergoing an elective change to the body is a major decision.  It requires maturity of the patient and support of the parents. 

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon