Nose Tip Upturned After Rhinoplasty

I had Rhinoplasty several days ago. When I saw my nose at the mirror recently, I noticed, that the tip of my nose is lifted high, which does not look natural. The doctor told me that it's going to return into a more natural form after a while. Will it really change and go down? If so, when can I expect it to happen?

This is probably a good thing!

+6

Hi!    This is not swelling but probably an intentional overcorrection by your surgeon.  The tip will almost certainly come down.  You should see almost the final result in about 3 months.

The tip will drop in most cases

+6

In most cases, the tip will drop, however the degree to which it does so relies on a number of variables, including your specific anatomy before the procedure, the goals of the procedure, the techniques used to modify the tip (sutures, cartilage grafts, etc) and ultimately your body's healing capabilities. In general, I urge all patients who have had a rhinoplasty to be patient with the initial appearance, as it very often looks too swollen and the tip may indeed look too upturned. With time, it should settle quite nicely into a more natural position.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Expect some correction of your Rhinoplasty results with time

+4

Many rhinoplasty patients request an improvement in tip rotation. Many surgeons will tape the nose and support the tip if tip rotation modifications were performed. This taping may exaggerate the tip rotation several days after surgery. Often, after swelling subsides, some degree of drop will occur. Be patient. You and your surgeon can follow how your nose heals and you will likely see the results you want after a few months.

Corey S. Maas, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes your upturned nose will likely drop

+4

I can reassure you and tell you from personal experience that this will go down.

Patient's often relate that initial concern that when they look in the mirror, all they see is their nostrils and they feel that they have a snout but this is quite normal and is a reaction to seeing your nasal changes for the first tme.

Of course, it is difficult to say without a picture and without knowing the details of your specific procedure but generally you will see a vast improvement within 3 weeks after surgery.

You will then see long term subtle changes over a longer 12 month period.

I encourage you to stick witih your surgeon's recommendations and avoid straining or vigorous activity which can cause greater swelling during this period. Also as previously stated sleeping with your head elevated.

I hope this helps!

Days are not enough time to see rhinoplasty result

+4

Rhinoplasty is one of the operations in plastic surgery that suffers the most from postoperative swelling.

Particularly when there has been changes made to the tip of the nose, the body's first response to the operation is to send increased amounts of blood and fluid to the area to bring in the cells that mediate healing. This can last for a few weeks, and it is worst in the first week or two after surgery.

I tell all of my rhinoplasty patients that it will take at least 3 weeks for the initial swelling to go down, but the final result of the rhinoplasty will not be evident for up to 6 months. It can be hard, but be patient before trying to evaluate the results of your surgery!

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Facts: Early results are not an indication of long term outcome

+4

Rhinoplasty procedures may cause considerable swelling and edema. This may disguise the actual shape of the nose in the immediate postoperative period.

Nasal shape is defined by the underlying structural support as well as the overlying skin. In most cases after rhinoplasty, the edema obfuscates the long term structure of the nose.

Be patient in the early period and allow the swelling to subside. This may take 6 to 9 months.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Early after Rhinoplasty the Nasal Tip can look over upturned

+3

After rhinoplasty, with normal swelling, soon after the casting material and tape is removed, the tip can look too upturned. As the swelling subsides the tip will drop significantly. Give it the time it deserves and realize healing from a rhinoplasty is a process that takes many months not days or a few weeks.

Andrew Jacono, MD

Tip rotation after rhinoplasty

+3

Tip rotation after rhinoplasty is very common and generally drops over the period of six to 8 weeks. Most rhinoplasty surgeons will slightly over elevate a nose because it is expected to drop some during the healing process as the nose settles and the swelling subsides. Patience is typically the best approach at this time. However, if it is still too high after that time you should address that with your surgeon. Sometimes taping can also help to bring it down to a slightly lower position but I would discuss that with my surgeon first.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip will return to normal after 6 weeks

+3
Depending upon the tip techniques that were performed at the time of the surgery, the tip will most certainly drop after the surgery. The tip always looks turned up in the first couple of weeks after a Rhinoplasty due to swelling and will usually drop back to its normal position within two to six weeks. There is also further settling and healing that can occur over the next year. A year should be allowed for full healing to occur.

Rhionplasty and the tip

+3

It is too early to tell what the final result will be. Often after rhinoplasty, especially with tape, the tip appears elevated more than usual.  Usually this settles down as the swelling subsides.  Be patient before you jump to conclusions.