Nose Tip Upturned After Rhinoplasty

I had Rhinoplasty several days ago. When I saw my nose at the mirror recently, I noticed, that the tip of my nose is lifted high, which does not look natural. The doctor told me that it's going to return into a more natural form after a while. Will it really change and go down? If so, when can I expect it to happen?

The tip will drop in most cases

In most cases, the tip will drop, however the degree to which it does so relies on a number of variables, including your specific anatomy before the procedure, the goals of the procedure, the techniques used to modify the tip (sutures, cartilage grafts, etc) and ultimately your body's healing capabilities. In general, I urge all patients who have had a rhinoplasty to be patient with the initial appearance, as it very often looks too swollen and the tip may indeed look too upturned. With time, it should settle quite nicely into a more natural position.

This is probably a good thing!

Hi!    This is not swelling but probably an intentional overcorrection by your surgeon.  The tip will almost certainly come down.  You should see almost the final result in about 3 months.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Days are not enough time to see rhinoplasty result

Rhinoplasty is one of the operations in plastic surgery that suffers the most from postoperative swelling.

Particularly when there has been changes made to the tip of the nose, the body's first response to the operation is to send increased amounts of blood and fluid to the area to bring in the cells that mediate healing. This can last for a few weeks, and it is worst in the first week or two after surgery.

I tell all of my rhinoplasty patients that it will take at least 3 weeks for the initial swelling to go down, but the final result of the rhinoplasty will not be evident for up to 6 months. It can be hard, but be patient before trying to evaluate the results of your surgery!

Rhionplasty and the tip

It is too early to tell what the final result will be. Often after rhinoplasty, especially with tape, the tip appears elevated more than usual.  Usually this settles down as the swelling subsides.  Be patient before you jump to conclusions.

Rhinoplasty Facts: Early results are not an indication of long term outcome

Rhinoplasty procedures may cause considerable swelling and edema. This may disguise the actual shape of the nose in the immediate postoperative period.

Nasal shape is defined by the underlying structural support as well as the overlying skin. In most cases after rhinoplasty, the edema obfuscates the long term structure of the nose.

Be patient in the early period and allow the swelling to subside. This may take 6 to 9 months.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Early after Rhinoplasty the Nasal Tip can look over upturned

After rhinoplasty, with normal swelling, soon after the casting material and tape is removed, the tip can look too upturned. As the swelling subsides the tip will drop significantly. Give it the time it deserves and realize healing from a rhinoplasty is a process that takes many months not days or a few weeks.

Andrew Jacono, MD
Great Neck Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes your upturned nose will likely drop

I can reassure you and tell you from personal experience that this will go down.

Patient's often relate that initial concern that when they look in the mirror, all they see is their nostrils and they feel that they have a snout but this is quite normal and is a reaction to seeing your nasal changes for the first tme.

Of course, it is difficult to say without a picture and without knowing the details of your specific procedure but generally you will see a vast improvement within 3 weeks after surgery.

You will then see long term subtle changes over a longer 12 month period.

I encourage you to stick witih your surgeon's recommendations and avoid straining or vigorous activity which can cause greater swelling during this period. Also as previously stated sleeping with your head elevated.

I hope this helps!

Tip taping can help.

Hi Vladime, When you release the soft tissues of the nose during rhinoplasty, they slide up a little as you have noticed. With time and gravity, they will come back down a little. With your surgeon's permission, you can start tip taping techniques to help the process along. As the swelling comes out of the tip skin, it deflates and sags down making it drop. Most rhinoplasties take up to 12 months to heal so you should notice change gradually over time. Good luck. Dr. Shah

Time is your friend after rhinoplasty

Swelling at this stage in your post-operative progress is likely masking your final result. At day 2 and 3 your swelling may be at a peak. Time will help.

In my practice we also recommend head elevation for the first week. Splinting and taping can also help keep swelling and edema to a minimum.

Most patients should see significant reduction in swelling and edema at 3-4 weeks with the final shape being more apparent at about 6 weeks however there can be residual edema for 6 months.

Try to be patient. Talk to your plastic surgeon about your post-op course.

Good luck!

Your doctor is correct, the tip will drop

Your doctor is correct. The tip of your nose will drop, but it will take several weeks to do so.

The initial swelling and taping will contribute to the temporary elevation of the tip. Even if the purpose of the rhinolplasty was to elevate the tip, there is always some settling downward.

Foad Nahai, MD