Is my Nose Tip Too Round Following Rhinoplasty?

I had Rhinoplasty done four months ago, and I feel that the end or tip of my nose from profile view looks a little round. Also, there are two lines on each side of my nostrils that don't look too great. I'm more concerned about the rounded tip, though. I'm thinking about having another Rhinoplasty done, as I've heard most of the swelling has gone down by now and the final shape will be set. Could someone please give me some advice on how my nose looks and if I should go through another surgery?

Don't do it!

+6

I must give a compliment to your surgeon. The nose looks great. Your tip is still actively healing. There is STILL considerable swelling present, and this will take up to 2 years to totally resolve.

So, my advice to you is not to have any more nose surgery until the swelling resolves. Most rhinoplasty surgeons won't revise a nose for at least a year.

What kind of rhinoplasty did you have

+5

As a doctor who performs many revision rhinoplasties, I typically wait a minimum of one year for the most straightforward of corrections.

If you had an open tip rhinoplasty, tip delivery or tip defatting procedures, the time I will wait will be even longer, and will depend on the texture and softness of your nose. This time can be from 18 months, up to 3 years!

Most importantly, regardless of the type of procedure performed, 4 months is too short to decide if anything needs to be done.

The nose tip is the last to evolve after rhinoplasty

+4

I agree with Dr. Kasden. Your nose will continue to evolve over the next 8-12 months. The tip is the last to evolve.

In your profile picture you can see a significant amount of swelling especially at the columella (the hanging strip of tissue below your tip that separates the nostrils.) You should ask you surgeon if he/she feels that tip taping might improve the swelling more quickly.

After one year has passed, should your nose not meet your expectations, see your surgeon for advice or get a second opinion from a surgeon well-versed in revision rhinoplasty.

Good luck and take care of that nice nose,

Dr. Shah

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Nasal tip swelling after rhinoplasty

+3

Give it time!  You will do beautifully based on these early postoperative photos.  You have a nice straight dorsum, slight break (or upswing) in the supralar region (just above the tip) and you will notice continued and significant improvement throughout your recovery.  The text books don't lie.  12 months is absolutely necessary for complete healing and based on these views you should expect a very natural result in the long run that you are quite pleased and proud of.

Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling one year after rhinoplasty

+2

Typically it takes a year for the majority of swelling to resolve. The tip is the LAST part of the nose to resolve swelling. In open approach revision rhinoplasties that have extensive tip work, the swelling can last up to two years with subtle changes occuring over 5 years. Symmetry is the key here, the tip swelling will come down.

Annapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Double break.

+2

While this photo is certainly taken during a relatively early stage in the healing process, I think that what you're noticing is the slightly exaggerated "double break" of the columella (the part between the tip and where the nose meets the upper lip). The supratip itself shows only a minor amount of fullness, however.

I'd be curious to see what your nose looks like now since several months have passed since this question was posted. In any event, certainly wait a full year...and possibly longer...before undergoing any revision. Correction of the hanging columella is sometimes simpler than you might imagine, if it comes to that, though.

--DCP

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling in the tip resolves last

+2

There is a modest amount of swelling remaining in the nose and especially the nasal tip at four months after rhinoplasty. There will be continued subtle changes in your nasal tip for two years.

It is definately too early to consider any kind of revision surgery, especially (as you've heard in many of the posts) since your nose looks pretty good. The rule of thumb is to wait a year after a rhinoplasty prior to considering a revision. The only exception to this is if there is an obvious and fairly major residual cosmetic deformity. In that case, it can be justified to go back to the operating room sooner. From the view you provided you definately don't have a major deformity and therefore you should wait.

It's hard for me to predict given the one view we have and the fact that there will be some changes in the next year or so, but I suspect that you will be very happy and that you should probably not have a revision surgery in the future.

Web reference: http://sewickleyfacialplasticsurgery.com

Pittsburgh Facial Plastic Surgeon

My nose tip is too round: Give it more time

+2

From your picture, it looks as if you are experiencing some normal swelling. Unless you are experiencing redness, drainage, etc, this may be expected from the surgery that was performed

However, it is best that you report this to your surgeon.

If it is of any consolation, we generally do not take any pictures until 6 months afer surgery. This is a general indication of the amount of time it takes for us to assess the final result.

Furthermore, it is generally too early to even consider a revision. Give it some time and reevaluate your result at that time.

You should wait 1-2 years

+2

You will not see your true final result for at least one year after a rhinoplasty. Unless there is something dramatically wrong with your early result, you should wait and see if some of your issues don't resolve with time. Repetitive rhinoplasty surgery often causes more problems than it solves so don't take this lightly. Plus, looking at your photo, your tip doesn't look bad at all.

Too early to tell

+2

you are still very early in your recovery period and the tip of the nose takes the longest to see the full effects. It is very common to have rounding of the end of the nose for the first 8 - 12 months. At 4 months there is still swelling present, gently massage of the nose can be beneficial especially in this early time period. It is most important that you wait until all of the swelling has resolved. If you reach the one year point and are still not satisfied with the result then it may be time to seek another opinion.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.