Where in L.A. Can I Get a Great Nose Job Under $5000?

I have a big nose I would like to have it reduced. With the economy the way it is..I hoping some surgeons will drop their prices. Can someone direct me to a good cheap surgeon with out having to go to Tijuana. Although many of my friends have had work done there and they swear by it.

Seek certified and experienced surgeon for Rhinoplasty

+3

Experience is of utmost importance in choosing a plastic surgeon. Most participants in this expert panel would recommend a board certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon only.

Always choose the right doctor - not the cheapest

+2

Everything is expensive in this world. The cost of the disposables in the operating room is expensive. The cost of anesthesia, nursing care and the administrative staff that helps the doctors office runs - is expensive. The cost of insurance and rent is expensive.

And of course, the right of a well-trained doctor to charge for his or her years of training is important. This usually adds up to more than $5000 even in the cheapest of towns.

Robert M. Freund, MD

You get what you pay for.

+2

You do not want to scrimp when it comes to your nose. If you really have limited funds, perhaps you should look into a hospital where there is a plastic surgical residency. Although you will be done by a plastic surgeon in training, they should have an experienced plastic surgeon looking over their shoulder and making sure they do it right.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

You get what you pay for

+2

samnla323,

When it comes to plastic surgery, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for. Please be careful, especially when it comes to your nose for rhinoplasty. If you go to someone who does not know what they are doing, it could be a disaster. And some things are not fixable. You really have to think long and hard before undergoing rhinoplasty. For $5000 you are not going to find a qualified person to do the surgery. If you do, in the end, you are likely going to end up paying much, much more to have someone fix whatever you have done.

David Shafer, MD

+1

Rhinoplasty can be very involved or less involved as the anatomy and goals of the patient dictate.  I typically perform closed rhinoplasty (no visible scars) and, for certain patient demands, $5000 is not an unreasonable price, even in Los Angeles, CA.  Some rhinoplasties are more difficult and require more procedures or they are more difficult revisions.  In these cases OR and anesthesia fees may be $5000, apart from the surgeon's fee.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty Fees

+1

Surgical Fees vary considerably across the country.  South Florida pricing will be less than LA fees for example.  The most important consideration is to choose a good surgeon who understands your needs.  The last thing from a time, recovery, or cost standpoint is to choose a surgeon that would lead you to need revision surgery in the future.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty Expense

+1

Even in this period of the "Great Recession", there are no "real bargains" for Rhinoplasty.  It is a technically complex procedure, a difficult procedure to obtain consistently great results, and there is no reason to offer it for bargain prices.  I agree with the other Surgeons who have posted on this topic: 1) Rhinoplasty is one procedure where price should be the least of your concerns, 2) If you don't have the money right now, it is much better to wait until you do. In the long run, a bad Rhinoplasty will cost you much more in psychological, functional, and financial terms.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Cost

+1

Probably more so than any other cosmetic procedure, rhinoplasty needs to be done right the first time.  There are several reasons why this does not make sense from an economic standpoint:

• If you save a few dollars, but your surgery is not successful, in reality you did not save anything.  This is a concept which is hard to understand.  A rhinoplasty is not like purchasing a TV from a store, where every TV is essentially the same.  Every nose and rhinoplasty is different.  
  • A revision rhinoplasty will cost 3-5 x more money than the original rhinoplasty.  Therefore if your surgery to save was not successful, you have cost yourself more money.
  • Time is a precious commodity.  Additional time healing from the "saved money" procedure will waiting for the revision adds to the overall cost.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty cost should not be your primary concern

+1

Thanks for the question -

I agree with Dr. Grover whole heartedly.

Costs are always something to consider. Especially in more challenging economic times. It does pay to shop around but it shouldn't be your first concern.

You may be able to find someone to do your rhinoplasty for as little as $1000 but you're unlikely to find someone to perform the procedure safely and with the maximum benefit.

In our San Francisco practice we emphasize patient safety and efficacy of the procedure. This is your body and these procedures are serious endeavors with possible complications that can last a lifetime. Don't compromise your safety.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon that can address your concerns and that you can establish a good relationship with.

Also check with your insurance plan. If you've had trauma or have problems breathing part of the procedure may be covered.

You can also contact universtiy plastic surgery programs who may have programs where their residents under the supervision of the fully trained attendings. I hope this helps.

Steven H. Williams, MD

If cost is your main factor, do not have surgery at this time.

+1

The cost of any cosmetic procedure will vary from surgeon to surgeon based upon one's experience, training, background, board-certification, business strategy, etc. You should not let the cost of the procedure dictate whether you have the procedure or not. Of course, you should not expect to pay an unreasonable amount of money for the procedure, but remember there are other costs other than just the surgeon's fee. You will also need to pay the facility fee for the operating room and the anesthesia fee. This fee can vary depending on whether you use an anesthesiologist or a nurse anesthetist or just have your procedure done without an anesthesia care provider.

I prefer to perform my procedures in a fully accredited facility with a board-certified anesthesiologist who has much experience with cosmetic surgery patients. Good luck.

Sanjay Grover, MD