When Can I Tell if I Need Revision Rhinoplasty?

I had an open and closed Rhinoplasty a week ago. My skin is very very thin and my doctor told me before my procedure that there is a chance I will have to get a revision because of my thin skin. My splint was taken off two days ago and my nose looked great. I am getting paranoid that my new cute nose is going to change, and I will indeed have to get a revision. When will I be able to tell if I need a revision or if it's already fine?

Rhinoplasty results take time

+2

The nose continues to heal for the first twelve months after a rhinoplasty. However, the farther out you get with a good result the more likely it is that no revision is needed.  If you notice changes that begin to worsen over time you may need a rhinoplasty.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

You have to wait

+2

Long term follow up is the number one factor in determining a rhinoplasty outcome. Even as long as five years out, the nose will continue to change. A quality rhinoplasty will look good not only immediately after but over the course of time. My compliments to your surgeon who seems to respect the challenges of thin skin and was forthright during the preoperative consultation with you. An important aspect in rhinoplasty is appropriate preoperative assessment and the ability to utilize techniques which are ideal for your anatomy and aesthetic. Good luck in your recovery.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Need for revision is determined 5 months after rhinoplasty

+1

Revisional nasal surgery is not even contemplated for at least four or five months following a procedure. The revision itself is performed at one year after the surgery. Thin skin can present with its own set of problems including irregularities that can show through the skin. These irregularities need to be addressed through revision surgery. Thin-skinned individuals are more susceptible to having small irregularities across the bridge than people who have thick skin.

Rhinoplasty revision

+1

Give it some time. After a rhinoplasty there is a lot of swelling and things definitely change a bit over time. But if it looks good now, it probably will be ok. Unless the skin thins out too much after the swelling subsides.

Just be happy!

+1

If you like the way it looks, then be happy. Do not worry about things that you have no control over. Many noses look good from the start and stay that way.

Robert M. Freund, MD

Risk of revision after rhinoplasty is small

+1

Thin skin is indeed a risk that imperfections with rhinoplasty will "show through" though the open technique your doctor used can allow better control to see the changes made. Swelling in the first three months can hide imperfections but again the thinner the skin the earlier problems will show.

The good news is that you are very pleased with your result and I am certain that your doctor is pleased as well. There is no reason to expect a change in your new look, and a revision is unlikely.

More likely than not you not need a revision rhinoplasty.

+1

If your nose already looks good it is much more likely that it will stay that way. Revision Rhinoplasty is only necessary in less than 20% of cases and these are usually the more difficult operations done on patients with more severe deformities. Relax and just wait and see. You should not consider revision for about 6 months. I doubt you will need one.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Time will tell.

+1

Your nose will take up to one year to mature and heal. During that time it will change some in appearance. As with anything new, this will take getting used to. After one year, if there are obvious problems, then consideration may be given to a revision. Revision rates are typically less than 10% for first-time rhinoplasty patients, so the odds are in your favor. Good luck and take good care of your new nose over the next year. Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty takes a while to heal

+1

It takes several months and sometimes years to see the final results of rhinoplasty procedure. If you are happy with your nose, hopefully it will stay this way, and you will never need a revision procedure. You will probably know better in about a year, but it might take longer. In the meanwhile, enjoy your new cute nose, and don't worry about it!

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

6-12 months

+1

It takes 6-12 months for the tip swelling to subside to the point where you will know. Don't worry now--enjoy your new nose. The changes will be subtle and if there were no problems you should be pleased with the final result.