Do I Have Tuberous Breasts & Will it Be Possible for Me to Breastfeed?

Hi. I have never really cared that much about my weird shaped breasts, until recently (i am now 21). I was searching the net and found "tuberous breasts" and thought that mine looked silimar. My breasts are very small, pointy with fleshy nipples. When my nipples are erect, my breasts appear more normal. I have no cleavage, and no bras really fit me. I have been considering surgery anyway, but i wanted to know if I really have tuberous breasts? What grade would I be? I am in Australia.

Tuberous breasts?

+2

Thank you for the question and good quality pictures.

Yes I think you do have a mild variant of tuberous (constricted) breasts.

Tuberous breasts, in general, have a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy" and areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping).  

Generally, the procedure involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.

In the most severe cases of tuberous breast, a more complete breast lift may also be necessary.  In many cases however, a lift is not necessary. The patient should be aware that the final result will take months to see and that they will need to be patient and that revisionary surgery is more likely than in patients who do not present with tuberous (constricted) breasts.

I think that, in your case, you should end up with a very nice result  after the corrective surgery.  I have attached some patient examples that may be helpful to review.

Very mild tuberous breasts

+1
Judging from your photos, you probably have a very mild case of tuberous breast deformity that would not prevent you from breastfeeding. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Do I have tuberous breasts and will it be possible for me to breastfeed?

+1
Thank you for your question!   Given your photos, it does appear that you have a very mild tuberous breast/constricted breast deformity.  You could likely get great results with an implant alone as your constriction is very mild, if any.  In regards to breastfeeding, breast surgery should not impact your ability to breastfeed...if you could now.  Not every woman is able to do so, however, these procedures should not change your ability to do so.

Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery and discuss your goals and expectations.  S/he will then be able to examine and discuss the various options and assist you in deciding which decision os the right one for you, given your desires.  I would expect a very pleasing result for you!  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Tuberous breast shape.

+1

I would suggest that you have a mild form of tuberous breast shaped breasts, but this certainly is more common than you think.  You do not have a weird shape at all.  A breast lift pattern in which a circumareolar breast lift incision is made would correct this nicely if an implant is used as well.  I don't see that there should be a problem if you desire breast feeding in the future.  Please be aware that not all women can breast feed, but it has nothing to do with breast shape or whether breast implants were used for the correction of a breast shape.

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Tuberous Breast Characteristics

+1
Tuberous breasts have a high inframammary fold, a base with a tight skin envelope and an areola with a constricting band that pushes tissue into the areola. Your photos show mild features of a tuberous breast. There is no reason to suspect that you will have trouble breast feeding. If you would like to change the shape of your breasts a lift around the areola can release the areolar constriction and an implant can help lower the fold and expand the base. You do not need to dislike your breasts. They are normal!

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Tuberous breasts can be corrected

+1

You have the mildest form of tuberous or constricted breasts and I think that you are being too hard on yourself. I would not call them 'weird' at all.  Implants would help to make them more round if you want to have larger breasts. As mild as your condition is, I doubt that you would have a problem with breast feeding.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast

+1

Yes, you definitely have a tuberous component. It should not preclude you from being able to breast feed.