Do I Need to See a Specialist for my Tuberous Breast Augmentation?

I have consulted with and put non-refundable money down with a doctor who is a fully trained General Surgeon and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. He has performed quite a few augmentations. However, after discovering that I have tuberous breasts with asymmetry, and that this takes some additional skill to treat, I am wondering, do I need to see a surgeon who specializes in this? Or should my doctor be capable of handling this?

Tuberous breast augmentation

+2

These days, lots of different people place breast implants in women.  Although they should all be seeing qualified, board-certified plastic surgeons, your situation is one in which that is especially important.  The complexity of your situation is one that is not easily grasped by many surgeons, so be sure you see one who knows how to handle your specific case.

Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Specialist for tuberous breast augmentation

+2
Board certification in general surgery and plastic surgery shows your prospective surgeon did not take any shortcuts in his or her training. Usually treatment of a tuberous breast in our practice Involves some treatment of the areola, and special implants and careful measurement. You should talk to several doctors and, in experienced hands, you will usually hear the same advice.

Web reference: http://www.drbrent.com/index.php

Tuberous Breasts and Augmentation

+2

FFM in Minneapolis:

As you have read from my colleagues, board certification is a good start. Experience with this issue is very important as well. Augmentation alone is appropriate in some cases and correction of the tuberosity is needed in others. I would also suggest asking to speak to patients of this surgeon to discuss their outcomes. Getting a second or even a third opinion is also a good idea. We have a large base of experience performing augmentations on women with various degrees of tuberous breasts. I would be happy to give you my opinion. Our consultations are complimentary. Please feel free to contact us at your convienence. By the way,  we usually refund a patient's fees for procedures not performed. Please check the link below. Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/html/breast-augmentation.html

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast specialist

+1

The correction of a significant tuberous breast deformity is certainly one of the more challenging case types that those of us who perform breast surgery encounter. It is the type of case where lots of experience makes a very real difference, particularly insomuch that seeing results the results of our work over time enables us to refine our technique to ensure the best result possible. If properly carried out, a very attractive and natural appearing breast can be achieved in a single operation. 

That said, since you're starting from a 'tougher than usual starting point', it certainly makes good sense to discuss these concerns with your surgeon and see if he is comfortable with your case and has photos of similar situations that you find appealing.

Good luck, Dr. DeLuca

Web reference: http://www.delucaplasticsurgery.com/tubular-tuberous-breasts/

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast shape

+1

You have both tuberous breast shaped breasts as well as two different sized breasts.  A good Plastic Surgeon who  is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and possibly even a member of the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery should have the qualifications to perform this surgery for you, but always get several opinions before you make any decisions about this.  I have had many patients with this shape difference, and I know you can have a good result  if this surgery is performed properly.

You will have to have an incision and lift performed directly to the areolae as well as to the internal structures of the breasts to gain the good results that you are seeking, however.  Placing implants into the breats from an inframammary incision will usually not correct what needs to be done.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Web reference: http://w.w.w riegercosmeticsurgery.com

Tuberous breasts and breast augmentation

+1

Many patients considering breast augmentation are seeking to not only enhance the volume of their breasts, but to also enhance the shape and/or improve the symmetry of their breasts. Essentially all breast shape and symmetry issues can be improved during breast augmentation, and with most of them it is possible to make significant improvements and produce an aesthetically desirable breast profile. Accurate preoperative evaluation, appropriate surgical planning and attention to detail during the surgery are all crucial elements in achieving this goal.

Tuberous breasts tend to be narrow at the base and are overly projecting for their size, and this phenomenon may occur on one or both sides. In its mildest form, the lower pole of the breast is underdeveloped or may even appear constricted - sometimes referred to as a 'constricted lower pole'. In severe cases the breast is conical in shape and is sometimes described by the patient as looking like a 'torpedo' or a 'Snoopy dog'. Regardless of the degree of tuberosity, it is possible to dramatically improve the appearance of the tuberous breast during augmentation surgery using a number of specialized surgical techniques.

Many patients with severely tuberous breasts have said that they have never removed their bra in an intimate setting. Careful patient assessment, thoughtful planning and attention to detail during the surgical procedure can produce a dramatic and life-changing improvement for most patients with tuberous breasts.

Be sure to view many before and after photos of patients with tuberous breast correction to help determine the appropriate surgeon for you

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com/breast-augmentation_breast_implants.html#

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts

+1

Tuberous breasts do require a more intricate surgery then a straight forward breast augmentation.  Your procedure is not only needed to increase the volume of the breasts, but also to change the shape for symmetry and aesthetic purposes.  I would recommend speaking with your current PS.  It is reasonable to ask him/her how many of these they have performed in their careers and to request before and after photos.  If you are not satisfied, I recommend going to other consults until you are sure you have found the right surgeon for you.

Kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel, MD

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breasts - Experience, experience, experience.

+1

Board certified, experience, many, many examples that can be shown to you of the surgeons experience with similar cases. These are all base line requirements.  What I will say is in my hands many times it is an initial breast augmentation with release of fibrous bands within the breast tissue that is the first step. One must be careful not to be over zealous in this maneuver as loss of nipple sensation can be a consequence. I do think going for symmetry in an initial procedure is sometimes helpful with severe disparity in volume. Putting a much larger implant on one side is often problematic down the road. So perhaps a reduction on one side or lipo on one side as a staged step one is sometimes a good idea. Then follow with the breast aug 3 months later. Anyway, these are some of the thoughts that go through my mind with these challenging cases. Good luck. Experience. Experience. Experience. Show me photos!!

Difficult cases need experienced surgeons

+1

Tuberous breast deformity is a tough problem and requires a carefully planned approach.  Even with the best planning and execution, you can still wind up requiring multiple operations.  Be sure you choose someone who has done this type of surgery before and is able to handle the problems that can arise from this type of operation. 

Experience counts with breast asymmetry

+1

Complex breast issues are within the scope of board certified plastic surgeons from a training perspective.  You should look at photos from each plastic surgeon you consult with and be prepared for secondary surgeries/touch ups which are not unusual with asymmetrical breasts.  If possible, speak with their patients about the overall experience with the surgeon and then choose the one you are most comfortable with. Good luck!

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon