I'm 18 yrs old. Are my Breasts Tubular?

Hello, I'm an 18 year old female and ever since I was about 14 I've been concerned that my breasts are tubular. However, when my nipples are erect (as pictured) they look perfectly fine in my opinion. It's almost as if the tissue gets pinched back and creates a rounder shape. But I don't have naturally erect nipples, they're quite puffy. In your professional opinion, are they tuberous? Because I'm young, do I still have a chance of developing more rounded breasts in the future?

Tubular or Tuberous breasts can be corrected

The breast augmentation photo gallery on my website include before and after images of women with tubular breasts before surgery with very natural looking breasts after surgery. I attached a link below. Many women with tubular breasts wonder if they can have "normal" looking breasts. The answer is yes. be certain you fiund a plastic surgeon with expertise in this area.
In many breast augmentation patients, the inframammary fold needs to be lowered in order to allow the implant to rest at a level that appears natural relative to the position of the nipple and areola. Ideally the implant should be centered directly behind the nipple-areola complex (NAC). In profile, the natural-appearing breast is not convex in the upper pole, and an excessively convex and overly full upper pole is a dead giveaway that a breast implant sits below the skin. In addition, inadequate release of the inferior origin of the pectoralis major will allow the muscle to hold the implant in too high a position, and may even cause the implant to displace upwards (as high as the collar bone in some patients) when the muscle contracts. Patients with this problem require reoperation to release the inferior origin of the pec major and/or the inframammary fold.  

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breasts is a Sub-Group of Constricted Breasts

You appear to have constricted breasts. If you look carefully, the lower slope of the breast is a traight line instead of a gentle convex curve. As in tuberous breasts, which the contraction literally prevents the breast contents from bulging forward and assuming a hemispheric shaper. While the shape of a tuberous breast looks like tuber, or root, you have a milder form in which it is not AS constrictive by is nonetheless present. Your condition CAN be vastly improved with surgery but this is best done when you are older and you have the time to have it. Dr. PeterAldea

Tubular breasts

Tubular breasts is a descriptive term that indicates certain features that are variably present to variable degrees. Some call it constricted breasts because the base of the breast is tight and yours have a bit of that characteristic. You have to remember that breasts come in all shapes and sizes. Very few are "perfect." Your breasts are going to develop the way they will and they will continue to change as you grow, age, become pregnant, etc. It doesn't matter what they look like or what they are called, if you are unhappy about some aspect whether it is shape, size, symmetry, sagging, degree of perkiness, then you can discuss changes with a surgeon. Whether or not you actual go through with any surgery is going to be a individual and joint decision with your surgeon.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Tuberous Breasts

Absolutely - you have the classic signs of a mild tuberous deformity with slight nipple areolar herniation and a constriction of the lower pole which will make you prone to a double bubble with Breast augmentation

Andrew L. Greensmith, MBChB, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Constricted breasts

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photo. Based on your photograph, it appears that your breast are constricted and not allowing the lower aspect of your breast to fully develop. Breast surgery is an option to help reshape the breast and release some of the constrictions. An implant may also help reshape the breasts as well. I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who can discuss the different operative techniques and options with you.

Tubular breasts

Hi, thanks for your question. Breasts come in all shapes and sizes. There is no 'perfect' breast type. Your breasts may continue to grow for another 5 years. If you are unhappy with the shape of your breast there are options available to change them. Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a proper examination and to discuss your options. 

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Do I have tuberous breasts?

Based on your photo I don't think you have tuberous breasts. Tuberous breast is a *spectrum,* however, and there are mild cases and severe cases. At the end of the day, if you are dissatisfied with the appearance of your breasts it doesn't matter what you call it. I would recommend a formal consultation to discuss your cosmetic concerns and determine if there are any recommended treatments.

I hope this is helpful!

Bryan Correa, MD

Tubular Breasts

All breasts come in different shapes and sizes. It is very rare when you see symmetrical and even sized breast shapes. If you are happy with your breasts, then that is all that truly matters. However, if asking for professional opinion, your breasts appear to be mildly tuberous. Which there is nothing wrong with that! If it bothers you, then surgery is an answer for you. Tubular breasts are caused by constrictive "bands" which do not allow the breast tissue to fill out your breasts completely. Correcting tubular breasts is a very common procedure combined with breast augmentation. Relessing some of the constrictive bands as well as placing an implant will correct the look of the tubular breasts and allows for a very nice, round, breast shape. 

Your photos show signs of tuberous breasts

Tubular breast shape is caused by the constriction of breast tissue during puberty, which causes breasts to grow in an elongated shape rather than a rounded breast mound. The defining characteristics of tuberous breasts include puffy nipples and areola (which are usually large compared to the rest of the breast), a smaller breast size, and a distinctive tubular shape. Judging from your photos, I think it’s possible that you have a mild form of tubular breast deformity that could be improved with the help of breast augmentation, perhaps with a modified breast lift to alleviate tissue constriction and encourage a full, soft breast shape.

Mild tuberous components

You have a mild tuberous component but they are in the realm of normal also.  I would wait and see if this changes over time and suggest you hold off on surgery.  If it really bugged you, there is always surgery that could be done.  Good luck !