I'm 18 yrs old. Are my Breasts Tubular?

Hello, I'm an 18 year old female and ever since I was about 14 I've been concerned that my breasts are tubular. However, when my nipples are erect (as pictured) they look perfectly fine in my opinion. It's almost as if the tissue gets pinched back and creates a rounder shape. But I don't have naturally erect nipples, they're quite puffy. In your professional opinion, are they tuberous? Because I'm young, do I still have a chance of developing more rounded breasts in the future?

Tubular or Tuberous breasts can be corrected

The breast augmentation photo gallery on my website include before and after images of women with tubular breasts before surgery with very natural looking breasts after surgery. I attached a link below. Many women with tubular breasts wonder if they can have "normal" looking breasts. The answer is yes. be certain you fiund a plastic surgeon with expertise in this area.
In many breast augmentation patients, the inframammary fold needs to be lowered in order to allow the implant to rest at a level that appears natural relative to the position of the nipple and areola. Ideally the implant should be centered directly behind the nipple-areola complex (NAC). In profile, the natural-appearing breast is not convex in the upper pole, and an excessively convex and overly full upper pole is a dead giveaway that a breast implant sits below the skin. In addition, inadequate release of the inferior origin of the pectoralis major will allow the muscle to hold the implant in too high a position, and may even cause the implant to displace upwards (as high as the collar bone in some patients) when the muscle contracts. Patients with this problem require reoperation to release the inferior origin of the pec major and/or the inframammary fold.  

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tuburous Breasts

Hi...So your breasts are fine if you are ok with them.  There is no perfect shape and ultimately all that matters is your self esteem.  You have some Tuburous elements to your breasts and if you desired you could improve them surgically with a benelli type lift.  Again only if you were unhappy.  Its unlikely that the shape will improve with time

Good Luck

Rady Rahban, MD

Tuberous Breasts is a Sub-Group of Constricted Breasts

You appear to have constricted breasts. If you look carefully, the lower slope of the breast is a traight line instead of a gentle convex curve. As in tuberous breasts, which the contraction literally prevents the breast contents from bulging forward and assuming a hemispheric shaper. While the shape of a tuberous breast looks like tuber, or root, you have a milder form in which it is not AS constrictive by is nonetheless present. Your condition CAN be vastly improved with surgery but this is best done when you are older and you have the time to have it. Dr. PeterAldea

Tubular breasts

Tubular breasts is a descriptive term that indicates certain features that are variably present to variable degrees. Some call it constricted breasts because the base of the breast is tight and yours have a bit of that characteristic. You have to remember that breasts come in all shapes and sizes. Very few are "perfect." Your breasts are going to develop the way they will and they will continue to change as you grow, age, become pregnant, etc. It doesn't matter what they look like or what they are called, if you are unhappy about some aspect whether it is shape, size, symmetry, sagging, degree of perkiness, then you can discuss changes with a surgeon. Whether or not you actual go through with any surgery is going to be a individual and joint decision with your surgeon.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Do I have tuberous breasts?

Based on your photo I don't think you have tuberous breasts. Tuberous breast is a *spectrum,* however, and there are mild cases and severe cases. At the end of the day, if you are dissatisfied with the appearance of your breasts it doesn't matter what you call it. I would recommend a formal consultation to discuss your cosmetic concerns and determine if there are any recommended treatments.

I hope this is helpful!

Bryan Correa, MD

Tubular Breasts

All breasts come in different shapes and sizes. It is very rare when you see symmetrical and even sized breast shapes. If you are happy with your breasts, then that is all that truly matters. However, if asking for professional opinion, your breasts appear to be mildly tuberous. Which there is nothing wrong with that! If it bothers you, then surgery is an answer for you. Tubular breasts are caused by constrictive "bands" which do not allow the breast tissue to fill out your breasts completely. Correcting tubular breasts is a very common procedure combined with breast augmentation. Relessing some of the constrictive bands as well as placing an implant will correct the look of the tubular breasts and allows for a very nice, round, breast shape. 

Your photos show signs of tuberous breasts

Tubular breast shape is caused by the constriction of breast tissue during puberty, which causes breasts to grow in an elongated shape rather than a rounded breast mound. The defining characteristics of tuberous breasts include puffy nipples and areola (which are usually large compared to the rest of the breast), a smaller breast size, and a distinctive tubular shape. Judging from your photos, I think it’s possible that you have a mild form of tubular breast deformity that could be improved with the help of breast augmentation, perhaps with a modified breast lift to alleviate tissue constriction and encourage a full, soft breast shape.

Mild tuberous components

You have a mild tuberous component but they are in the realm of normal also.  I would wait and see if this changes over time and suggest you hold off on surgery.  If it really bugged you, there is always surgery that could be done.  Good luck !

What's in a name?

You are likely not going to have much change in the overall shape characteristics of the breast.  The breast shape can be changed somewhat with an implant alone.  If you want to go larger you can have an implant and improve the breast shape.  Whether or not you assign a name to your breast shape is not important.  You do have a short inframmary fold and herniated nipple, which are characteristics of tubular breasts.

Tubular Breasts

To start your breasts are with in the range of “normal,” you do have some constriction of the lower pole of your breasts. There is a spectrum of tubular breasts and you would be on the mild side.

The good news is that there are ways that this can be corrected. In your mild form you can achieve a very good result after breast augmentation.

With all of this said in your particular situation if you like the way your breasts look I would just leave them alone.