Do I Have Tuberous Breasts & How Can I Fix Them?

I'm 20 years old, no children. My breasts have always been disproportionate to my larger body size. The left is a 34A, the right a 32, and my ribcage is 36 inches, so bras never fit. After looking at pictures online, I was wondering if my breasts were slightly tuberous. If they are, how much would it be to fix something like this? I wouldn't want to be more than a B cup. I'm a college student, so I can't afford anything now, but I'd like to know how long it would take to save up.

Help for tuberous breasts

+2

Tuberous breasts require innovative and reconstructive procedures. When you are ready, choose your surgeon carefully. Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced in this type of demanding surgery. Good luck when you are ready!

Grand Junction Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breast

+2

Hello, thank you for the pictures.  Tubular breasts are seen in a significant percentage of our patients.  Signs of tubular breast include:

A poorly defined inframammary fold or no fold.

Pseudo-herniation of breast tissue into the nipple areolar complex.

A flattening along the lower pole of the breast with minimal rounding appearance. 

I would say looking at your pictures you have some of these signs.  A physical exam in person would also help.  There are several techniques during surgery that can be performed to create a more natural and rounder shape to the breast. 

Best regards,

Dr. Brian Joseph

Brian Joseph, MD

Tuberous Breast come in all degrees.

+2

Tuberous breasts come in many different varieties. An minimal version has a resticted lower pole, such as yours. Proper repair includes vertical scoring of breast tissue in the lower pole prior to implant placement.

Good luck!

Robert M. Freund, MD

Dual Plane Breast Augmentation Technique

+2

Thank you or submiting your photos. Regardless of the definition, you share many of the same characteristics of a tuberous breast, including a tight inframammary fold and a short distance from the lower edge of your areola to your inframammary fold. My approach would be a dual plane breast augmenttion technique in which the implant is placed beneath the muscle above the level of your areola, but beneath your areola, the implant is placed into a subglandular or above the muscle position. This combined with "scoring" or release of the gland, allows the implant to fall into a more natural position and will fill out that tight lower breast fold. Thank you. 

Jeffrey D. Hoefflin, MD

Tuberous breasts

+2

You may or may not fall under this catagory. In essence, it does not matter as the treatment would be the same in your situation. What matters most is the lack of skin (i.e. it is a short distance) between your nipple areola and the under crease of your breast (i.e. the inframammary crease) where your bra wire lies. This needs stretching either by way of a staged implant increase or an implant mastopexy procedure. It may require more than one operation to get your full size and areola position so be prepared to here this.

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Mild tuberous breast deformity can be fixed together with breast augmentation.

+2

Hi.

The base (lower part) of your breasts is slightly constricted and this needs to be released at the time of breast augmentation.  Very straight forward.  Just need a good surgeon.  I wrote a little piece on my profile about how to find a good surgeon.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tuberous?

+2

I think the reason for the variation in answers to your question has to do with the photos you presented.  The conical shape of your breasts does have a pre-partum shape (you never had children) however, looking at your right breast in the middle photo you presented, you definitely appear to have some 'herniation of breast tissue' into your areola- a component of the concept of constricted or tuberous breasts.  Better photos would be needed to give you a better explanation.  This is something that isn't quite so obvious in the same breast on the third photo where it is closer to the camera.  In my opinion, once this herniation is present, I do not think that simply scoring the upper breast pole will correct the issue.  In this type of case I believe a circumareolar mastopexy is necessary.  

Scott E. Newman, MD, FACS

Tuberous breast deformity

+2

You may have a component os a tuberous breast deformity becuase it looks like form your photos that the lower pole is a bit tight.  An implant placment with +/- scoring of the lower pole may be all that you need to get a nice shape.

? Tuberous breasts

+2

You do appear to have mildly tuberous breasts with constriction of the lower poles.  The preoperative appearance of your breasts (as with anyone) will have the most important effect on your post-operative outcome.  You are likely, however, to have a fairly good outcome.  I would place the implant over the muscle and avoid higher profile implants.  Your expectations should be appropriate and this may be helped by seeing some pre/post-operative pictures from others with your shape.  Best wishes.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Turerous breasts

+2

"Tuberous breasts" is a term that is getting used all to often thesee days. From your pix I would say you don't fit that diagnosis,but rather have pre partum (never been pregnant)  conical shaped breasts. The nipple to inframammary crease distance usually will increase with augmentation,pregnancy or aging

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon