Very Swollen Lips Three Weeks After Lip Augmentation from Fat Transfer, Normal?

Three weeks ago, I had a lower facelift, deep dermabrasion and fat from my neck transferred to my lips. Although the swelling has subsided quite a lot and I no longer look like Daffy Duck, my lips are still huge and look unnatural. I still have to cut my food into small pieces and eat from a teaspoon. I speak with a lisp and look ridiculous when I attempt to smile. Should I be concerned or just be more patient? Should I use my mouth muscles more? I've hardly spoken since my surgery.

Lip swelling after lip augmentation with fat grafting

+4

I would certainly speak to your surgeon about how your progress is going after surgery and to make sure that you are healing appropriately. After having multiple procedures around the mouth including dermabrasion, facelift, and fat grafting, the swelling can take a little longer than usual to go down.

Dr. Jamil Asaria

FACE Cosmetic Surgery, Toronto

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip swelling and lip augmentation

+3

It is very common to have swollen lips after augmentation. If you think it is excessive I suggest you speak with your surgeon.

Lip swelling from Fat injections

+2

In most cases, 70 percent of the swelling is gone within 4 weeks of surgery. I find it interesting that you had fat grafts instead of lip implants.  Be sure to follow up with your surgeon as he recommends.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Lip swelling after fat injection to lip

+2

After fat injection to lips ---

Approximately 70% of the swelling is gone in four weeks.

But, it takes about four to six months for all the swelling to disappear.

Subramaniam Arumugam, MD
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Lip augmentation with fat transfer

+1

Dear Christine_C,

• You had a lot of work done to the lower third of your face and neck
  • It is not uncommon to have prolonged swelling because everything is healing at once
  • The fact that the swelling has come down is a good sign, it will continue to improve
  • We overfill the lips with fat injections because as time goes on, some of it will reabsorb

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD