How Soon Can I Get Another Round of Restylane Injected into Lips?

I had 0.5mL of Restylane injected in my small lips 4 days ago. It was my first time doing anything of the sort and I wanted to be "conservative" about it. The swelling seemed to be gone by the end of the day following my injections and now 4 days later, I see/feel some change but not as much as I'd hoped. Is it safe to get more so soon? If so, how soon can I do it?

Best to wait 1-2 weeks to reduce swelling.

+2

Technically there is no reason why you cannot add more now, but you may increase your risk of swelling more than if you waited 1-2 weeks from the initial augmentation once all swelling has resolved.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane to the Lips

+2

I would recommend on waiting for the swelling to go down before another injection. You should wait at least 3-4 weeks before your next injection.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

When To Go For A Repeat Filler Treatment to the Lips

+2

I recommend waiting a few weeks to allow any swelling or bruising to go away completely, especially with the hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane.  I tell all my patients not to assess the results until after a few weeks for this such reason. If you still feel you want more after a few weeks, then I would follow up with your physician who did the injections. It is always better to have to go back and do a little more than have to much done at once.

Channing R. Barnett, MD

How soon before you should inject more Restylane: 1-2 weeks

+1

You want to wait until the swelling from the first round completely resolves before adding more.  This usually takes 1-2 weeks.  

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Wait 7-10 Days Before Injecting Additional Restylane

+1

Generally speaking 0.5mL of Restylane is a conservative amount and a good volume to start with for lip augmentation.  Lips are always swollen for several days to a week after treatment. Some patients get used to the swollen volume and end up wanting more product when the swelling subsides. In our San Francisco Bay Area practice we typically have patients wait seven to ten days before injecting additional Restylane to allow ample time for the swelling to resolve.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Lip augmentation

+1

Best is to wait at least few weeks till the swelling subsides and then can truly assess the result and decide about best further treatment course

Anatoli Freiman, MD
Toronto Dermatologist

Restylane or Juvederm into the lips can cause significant but temporary swelling.

+1

Pythonpriss,

In my opinion you were smart to be conservative for your first filler treatment, especially in the lip area. Filler treatment is an art and placement of the right amount in the right places is subjective, and should be a collaboration between you and your injecting physician. I would rather you choose to add more than feel you got too much or that it's not where you meant it to be.

I agree with the other doctors here that the longer you wait, the more likely you and your doctor will know what's really in there, and where to put more. It's not dangerous to add more sooner, other than possibly not having a completely accurate picture of what you're adding to and whether the combined treatments will end up exactly the way you want.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Lip Augmentation Wait Time

+1

I see my patients in follow up 2 weeks after lip augmentation.  At that point, most to all of the swelling has resolved and we can truly see the effect of the initial augmentation and make a good decision about whether or not to do more.  

Chynna Steele, MD
Roswell Dermatologist

I would recommend waiting about 10 days.

+1

The reason for this is that one always experiences some swelling after the procedure.  Give your lips a bit of time to settle down so your injector can provide accurate filling service.  Don't let them make your upper lip too big.  The lower lip should be a bit bigger than the upper lip.  It is also important to extend treatment in to the lip corners.

When to get more Restylane for your lips

+1

It is always advisable to wait at least one and preferably two weeks for all of the swelling to resolve before assessing the results of filler injections, especially a hyaluronic acid filler like Restylane. I always recommend waiting several weeks for the swelling to go down after the treatment before worrying about any long-term adverse effects or considering any "touch-up" treatments such as additional filler injections or reversing the treatment using hyaluronidase.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon