Will Using Steroid Injections Remove Scar Tissue from Lip Inject Work 15 Mos. Later

15 months later, there is no Juvederm present any more but it sounds like I might have a hematoma on the upper left lip. I can’t stand the unevenness in my lips and rarely smile anymore. Has anyone had success with steroid injection to break down and reduce the scar tissue that is causing my lip lump? I don’t want to have surgery to remove it as this may cause sever scarring. All advice is welcomed.

Unevenness in Lips after Fillers

+4

Yes, I think you should leave your lip alone for another 6-9 months.  If this unevenness is the result of a lip filler like Restylane or Juvederm, hematoma or not, the effects should all be gone by 2 years.  Injecting steroid into the area will only add another variable into the lip with the possibility of making things even more lumpy and bumpy.  Sometimes the most difficult thing, for patients to do, is to wait.  However, often this is the most logical and reliable way to proceed.

Steroid for scar tissue

+3

First thing's first, injectable filler substances rarely cause scarring. It is possible for scar tissue to develop after numerous filler procedures involving numerous needle sticks over a long period of time. However, this doesn't seem to be the case in this patient. While it is true that corticosteroid injections into hypertrophic scars (thickened scar tissue) or keloids (very thickened scar tissue) will improve their appearance, it doesn't sound like this is the case here. Hematomas are pockets of blood that may develop after surgery or other invasive procedures; they typically resolve within several weeks and are not long lasting. Additionally, they should not be treated with steroid injections.

Peter L. Kopelson, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar tissue can be improved with steroid injections

+2

In your earlier photos it did look like there was a hematoma with swelling and a purple discoloration of the left upper lip.  By 15 months all of filler and the hematoma have resolved.  Most likely the unevenness is from a scar.  I don't recall any unevenness in your before photos.

Consult a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for an evaluation.  Steroid injections are usually done once a month.  Make sure the doctor you see is experienced with steroid injections.  Too much steroid can thin the tissue irreversibly, too.

I would be interested in seeing your progress. 

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Treating Scar Tissue from Juvederm with Steroid Shots

+2

Fifteen months after your Juvederm injection there will no longer be any Juvederm present, There will not be a hematoma present as well so the swelling is most likely due to scar tissue. Steroid injections can often be used quite successfully to break down and shrink scar tissue. Low concentrations of steroid solutions should be used at first to be safe and the strength can be increased in additional injections if necessary. I recommend you be evaluated for this treatment by an experienced Dermatologic surgeon in your area such as Dr. Mary Lupo.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

+2

Most likely. At least worth a try of 3 sessions every 3 weeks. I have seen this treatment work after a few years. 

Treatment of Lip Scar Tissue

+2

You're at the point where you need a good doctor to examine the area and determine what will be the best option. You don't have any hematoma at this point and you probably don't have any remaining Juvederm. The most likely cause of the swelling is scar tissue, but somebody needs to examine your lips to really determine what is going on and what will be the best treatment option. Intresional injections of steroid can improve hypertrophic scarring, but even steroids have potential risks. See a dermatologist or plastic surgeon with extensive experience in soft tissue fillers and facial surgery and let them evaluate your problem. Best of luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Steroid shots do good to shrink scar tissue but often need to be done a few times.

+2

Steriod shots are easy to get and usually done every 2-4 weeks to reduce scar tissue or organized hematomas at a cost of roughtly $100 per session and 2-4 sessions common.  Good Luck,
David Hansen,md

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Steroid for Scar Tissue

+1

From what I can tell in your pictures, it doesn't seem to me that there is a major scar on your lip. Did you have any trauma to the area during or after the injection? At this point, I think whatever may be causing the irregularity you are noticing (and I don't see any in the photo), you'd be better off with watchful waiting than to inject a steroid into the area. Because the lips are such an unforgiving area to work with, I'd hate for you to end up less happy after another injection. Speak with your physician about what might be causing the irregularity you're noticing and perhaps he/she can offer a solution such as evening out the other side or enhancing your lips again.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Asymmetric lip after Juvederm

+1

You should see a physician who can evaluate your condition. How does it feel to their examination? Is there substance in the lip that feels consistent with residual product, scar, or organizing hematoma, or is there an asymmetry of the lip from a lack of elevation on that side that could be related to an unbalance of the smile muscles, whether related to prior Botox injections near the lower eyelids or volume injected with fillers in the cheeks and smile folds? You need an in-person evaluation.  Dr.  William Coleman in Metairie, and Drs. Mary Lupo and John Yarborough in New Orleans are experts in their field.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Scar/steroid shot

+1

I agree that it would be best to have evaluated by an experienced physician. I do think that if they think that this is scar tissue that intralesional steroids would be a good option. In the correct hands you should not have much of a chance of additional troubles. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist