Can Gore-tex Be Removed from Lips?

I had gortex put in my lips several years ago and it has since searated and is bumpy. Is there an 'easy' way to have it removed and if so, how long following removal can I have Restylane injected (if ever)?

Gore-tex Removal from Lips

+3

Hello and thank you for the question.

Gore-tex can be removed from the lips. It requires making small incisions in the lip through which the gore-tex may be carefully dissected out and explanted.  Once the the swelling has resided from the explantation, and this may take several months in some case, an injectable HA-filler such as Juvederm or Restylane may be used to create revolumization and re-establish anatomic balance.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Gore-tex in lip

+3

Gore-tex in the lip can probably be removed with a small incision.  I would give it a few months to settle down before having fillers in the lip placed.

Removal of Gortex from lips

+2

Gortex implants can be removed from the lips and will require small incisions at the corners of the lips.  Once the lips have healed adequately (probably several months), you may have the lips injected with Restylane.

Andrew P. Giacobbe, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Gortex lip implants and removal and Restylane

+2

The Gortex implant can usually be removed via a small incision at the corner of the lips.  I would wait approximately six months before injecting Restylane into the lips following the Gortex removal.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Goretex needs a small incision to be removed

+2

Unfortunately there is no "easy" way to remove a GoreTex implant, at least no non-surgical way. Usually it comes quite nicely through one or several small incisions, the latter if the implant is broken in several pieces. I would definitely let your lip settle for half a year before any new procedure for lip augmentation

Alexis Verpaele, MD
Belgium Plastic Surgeon

Gortex implant in the lip

+2

Gortex implants can be removed from the lip through a small incision in the lip.  After removal, you probably ought to wait 6 months for the tissue to settle, before considering filler injections.  If your immune system has developed what we call a "foreign body reaction" to the goretex material, even after removal it is possible that your lip may be bumpy.  The implant should be removed, regardless. 

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Removal of Goretex implants or silicone injections from the lip

+1

Goretex implants were once used commonly for lip augmentation and are rarely used currently as they have been replaced by Juvederm or Restylane lip injections. Goretex can usually be removed from the lips using small incisions.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Removing gortex implants from lips

+1

The gortex can be remove via an incision near the corner of the mouth. It varies how well the implant is removed. I would recommend waiting until the post-operative swelling subsides before having restylane placed. This would probably take several months, though this may vary depending on how traumatic the gortex removal was.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Removing Gortex from Lips

+1

The Gor-Tex can be removed and if there is a problem should definitely be removed. How easy it can be done is individual in nature. In some people you find the gor-tex easily and it all pulls out quickly. In others it can be much harder to find and remove. 

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Goretex can be removed

+1

Yes, I've removed quite a bit og Gortex from the lips and I prefer using a small incision on the inside of the lips.  This combined with a careful, focused blunt dissection allows the removal of the Gortex with the least amount of trauma to the lips.

I used quite a bit of Gortex 15 years ago for lip augmentation and now use Alloderm as my primary method of lip enhancement.