Procedure to Reduce Philtrum?

I have a very thick, prominent philtrum, which makes me look quite ethnic -something I consider undesirable. Is there anything that can reduce the look of the philtrum lines--i.e., hyaluronic acid?

I know people get Juvederm to increase definition of their philtrum, but maybe filling in next to and between the philtrum could serve to also reduce its appearance? Thanks in advance, and have a great night!

Philtrum reduction

+1

A photo is worth a thousand words.  It is highly unusual for someone to ask for a philtrum reduction.  I am wondering if something else in the perioral region is bothering you?

Altering the shape of the philtrum can be done

+1

Definitely photos are always beneficial to help a surgeon decide what would be the best solution for a particular problem and to reach the desires of the patient. You can reduce the size of the philtrum by excising certain portions of the lip to change the appearance. These excisions can occur inside the mouth and can hide quite well. Sometimes, making incisions under your nose can also help change the shape of the lips to get what you want.

There are also many different lip advancements that can be done to alter the shape of the lips. Injections can be helpful but would really depend what the desired outcome was. I'm sure if you brought your picture in that a facil plastic surgeon would be able to figure out what was best!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Philtrum reduction

+1

Greetings,

I would agree with Dr. Katz that a photo would be beneficial. When evaluating an area for surgical intervention, it is important to appreciate the relationship of one area to another. For instance, what you describe may best be treated by enlarging the lips or creating more red show to reduce the appearance of the philtral columns. Without a photograph or evaluation, it is difficult to even suggest a procedure.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Philtrum reduction

+1

I am not sure I fully understand the problem as you define it and a picture of just the lower face (doesn't reveal your identity) may be helpful.  Adding a filler to this very delicate region if you already feel it is too full is risky and better avoided.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon