Is There a Way to Widen Lips?

I have a very small mouth opening and narrow lips. I want to make them wider in terms of width from left to right. I do not want to plump them up more. I feel that this will balance out my face more as they are nearly the same width as my nose and it looks funny. Is this possible? Thanks!

There's a way to widen lips

+1

A traditional facelift does tend to widen the lips. As you pull the muscle covering layer ("SMAS") laterally, the lips tend to get pulled laterally.

Just look at Donatella Versace's, or Sally Fields pictures, or any other facelift that has been "pulled" too far and you will see. Web sites that track bad plastic surgery to the stars are full of these pictures.

Making the mouth or lips wider

+1

There are procedures ot actually open the width of the mouth as mentioned by Dr. Wallach and there are techniques to move to corners of the lips outward to make the mouth appear wider by moving the lips outwards. This is the modification of the procedure known as a corner lift. However this can potentially leave scars on the outsider broders of the lips

I don't think you can increase the length of your lips.

+1

I understand your concern. When your mouth is closed, the length of your lips measured from right-to-left is too short. Unfortunately, I am not aware of any procedure that would improve this problem.

That being said, you should consult a board-certified facial plastic surgeon for an in-depth consultation to see what you CAN do to improve the way you look and feel.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Making the mouth wider

+1

There are actual techniques described to reconstruct a patient's mouth if she has a true microstomia. BUT..... this is for a patient who can not open her mouth wide enough to ingest food, etc.. It doesn't leave noticeable scarring. I would not recommend it for a person who thinks that a wider mouth would bring better balance.