Options to Minimize Distance Between Nose and Mouth?

I don't like the way my mouth makes me look older, the upper lip is very thin and the space between nose and lips is large. Also, the corners drop a little. I've seen the lip lifts but it looks scary and am concerned about an ugly scar. What are the options?

Shortening of the lip-nose distance

+3

There are five basic procedures which would help your situation.

1. Gullwing upper lip lift. If cleverly and conservatively done, the results are dramatic. If overdone, they are terrible and unfixable.

2. Augmentation of the lips. In our practice, we prefer LiveFill(R), autologous nontraumatized grafts. Temporary hyaluronic acids can be used or fat injection as well.

3. Division of the DAO (depressor anguli oris). This diminishes frowning

4. Augmentation of the marionette region

5. A facelift with deep layer restructuring can elevate the corners of the mouth, improving the lip-nose dimension.

Possibly (6) Corner of the lip lift; would not recommend based on the picture at hand but it is a procedure that does alter the dimension that bothers you. If must also be very cleverly and conservatively done.

Several ways for improving mouth shape

+2

Dear DoraLu,

There are several ways to improve the shape of the mouth:

1. lip lift or bullhorn lift

2 fillers to shape and lift the mouth corners

3 Botox to shape the mouth

4 Thermage to tighten the upper lip skin and improve the texture

5 general volume addition to the face with fillers or with micro fat grafting to shape the cheeks and jawline.

Trevor M. Born, MD

Minimize distance between nose and mouth

+1

I would be able to give the best advice with side profile photos as well. If your tip is turned up too much, it may create the illusion of a further distance from your upper lip to your nose. A rhinoplasty where your tip is lowered may help. A short nose may be an issue as well. In addition, a thin upper lip will add to the illusion of a further distance. Restylane is a great filler to add fullness to the lips. A filler such as Juviderm for the corners is a great option as well. Please feel free to send me any additional photos and I would be happy to look over them for you.

Thank you, and best of luck.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Nose-Mouth Distance

+1

Hi Dora,

A simple remedy would be to try an injectable filler such as Juvaderm. This will enhance your upper lip and the distance between your upper lip and nose will decrease.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Making the Upper lip Look Younger

+1

Several factors make your lip look older and sad.

Before performing a surgical procedure, I would suggest you try and have the corners of the mouth filled with either Restylane or Juvederm AND lifted by weakening the corner (Depressor) muscles, which pull them down with Botox. if that is sufficient, I would stop here.

if not, once this has been achieved, I then would advise a lip lift (Bull Horn) with the scar at the base of the nose. It would lift the upper lip allowing incisor show on smiling. The full lip look could be obtained with Juvederm placement.

Dr. P. Aldea

Lip lift and shortening distance from lip to nose

+1

Lip lifts are likely to be the best option to treat your condition . In general the best technique, in my opinion,  is the bull's horn approach as opposed to the gull wing lift. Corner lifts are frequently performed in combination with lip lifts.