What Do You Think About the VY Plasty Lip Technique?

What do you think about the VY plasty technique? Is it effective? Do you have any photos of patients that have had it?

Pink as in lips?

+2

Pink,

VY advancement techniques are time honored tools of our trade that are applicable to many areas of the body and many conditions. Since this is primarily a cosmetic surgery website and your name is Pink, I must assume that you are referring to lip augmentation using this method. I have personally used the technique very effectively to provide permanently lasting lip enhancements. I have also had to reverse the technique (YV) in patients that received overzealous enhancements by other surgeons. So, make sure that you see a plastic surgeon that is familiar with the operation. Good luck!

VY Augmentation

+1

There are many procedures that can use the VY advancement.  But I assume you are talking about the upper lip and augmentation.

This is surgery and the results are not optimal.  You can achieve the same results if not better with filler augmentation.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

What do you think about the VY plasty technique?

+1

I have performed this operation years ago. The technique is a tired old technique of EVERTING the pink mucosa of the lip and augment it at the same time. The more pink works temporarily because of the swelling caused by the surgery more than anything else presumably by slowed drainage of lip lymphatic.

In MY opinion it is an expensive way to replicate the effect of a punch in the lip. As soon as the inflammatory component goes away so does much of the result.

In these days with so many fillers such as Restylane and Juvederm out there, I would not perform this operation. Leave it alone unless you truly have an extreme case.

Peter A Aldea, MD

VY advancement

+1

The use of a V to Y advancement has been used for many years in reconstructive plastic surgery.  I am asuming your question is regarding upper lip augmentation.  I have done this and was not impressed.  It is much easier to use Juvederm or Restylane and avoid surgery. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

VY Plasty

+1

VY plasties have been used to evert the lips and give more fullness to thin lips.  It can be beneficial in some patients but it is definitely not for all patients.  I prefer to use fillers to get the same result without the potential complications( i.e scarring) that can develop from lip surgery.

VY plasty is a common technique, but for what?

+1

Plastic surgeons use a VY plasty or VY advancement for many procedures and in many different circumstances.  You never mentioned what procedure you were considering, so I cannot make a judgment.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon