Lip Augmentation Gave Me a Crooked Smile. What Should I Do?

I had a lip-filler injected above my upper lip last Tuesday, with good results, although my lip sticks out farther on its left side. I had it done to rejuvenate my "smoker-lips". I don't recall what kind of filler my doctor administered, but my lips are still tender from the injection. Will this even out or do I have to go back to her to get the right side filled more? The lines on my lips look better but my smile is crooked. I can't even wear lipstick, as it makes it more obvious.

Lip injections need time to settle

+2

Lip injections result in significant swelling. If your swelling has resolved and asymmetry is still present this can be remedied with either conservative amount of additional filler on the less inflated side or small amount of hyaluronidase to reduce the amount of filler on the more bulky side.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tincture of Time

+1

Although frustrating, give it more time.  Usually in about 10 days (occasionally longer), inconsistencies in lip volume after Restylane (or Juvederm) lip augmentation work themselves out.  After 10 days, if there is still a prominent difference, I'd advise some very gentle thumb and forefinger massage to the plump area.  This usually works the volume discrepancy out nicely.  The only exception to this is when I see a prominent bruise in the area of the lump.  Bruising usually connotes a small hematoma (collection of blood) that just needs to resolve naturally.  Massaging a hematoma is probably not going to help with product redistrubution.  Good luck! 

Randolph Capone, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Less is better with lip augmentation

+1

If at all possible, do not pressure your aesthetic physician to give you more augmentation than you need for the lips. Less is definitely better as subtlety is much better appreciated. Uneven results within days after lip augmentation are often due to expected swelling from hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers and should be temporary. The beauty of HA fillers is that if you are not happy with the end result, you may consider hyaluronidase to completely reverse the injected HA material.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip augmentation with acute asymmetry

+1

Lip augmentation is done with a variety of filler options. Asymmetry may result on occasion. The best advice is to wait 2 weeks before your doctor corrects the asymmety so as to avoid perpetuating the problem by correcting one side and then having the same asymmetry occur on the other side. Patience is key in all likelihood your lips will naturally correct without the need for additional intervention.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Uneven result after lip augmentation

+1

Dermal fillers for lip augmentation are an excellent option. In this area body, a small amount of volume can go a very long way. For this reason, in our practice, we use nerve blocks so that the patient remains very comfortable and can assist us during the injection. Patients received an injection of the filler and during the injection can let us know where they would prefer the volume. In many cases, we do not need to use the entire syringe. Patients can then return to the clinic within two weeks to use the remainder of the syringe for a touchup or for another area. If you have uneven results, return to your surgeon as they can evaluate the lip and determine whether you need additional filler to balance the result or whether a small amount of the excess may be removed.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Lip augmentation

+1

In general you should wait about 2 weeks for everything to settle and the swelling to subside before considering a touch up.

In fact it may be so that at that point there might not need for anything to be done.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD