Lip Injection Cause Cancer?

What is the long term effects of repeated juvederm or filler injections? Can you get lip cancer?

There is no evidence that repeat Juvederm injections cause lip cancer.

+2

Dear Alittlemorelip

Rest assured that plumping your lips with Juvederm will not cause lip cancer (or any other cancer for that matter). Both Juvederm and Restylane the other hyaluronic acid filler are fantastic for lip volumizing. When it comes to lip treament, avoid fillers that can not be easily adjusted like the hyaluronic acid fillers. So avoid silicone oil, Radiesse, artefil, sculptra for the lip.

Juvederm Does Not Cause Cancer

+1

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that lip fillers such as Juvederm cause cancer. The product is a synthetic form of hyaluronic acid, a naturally occurring substance in the body. The likelihood of long term issues is rather small considering that other hyaluronic acid products such as Restylane have been around for several years without any report of serious complications.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Repeated lip augmentation injections to not cause cancer.

+1

Lip augmentation with approved injectables do not cause cancer.  Adulterated or unapproved substances might be different but I know of no studies or case reports confirming this. Nevertheless, I would never let anyone place a foreign material in my lips or anywhere else that has not been studied for safety and effectiveness.

Lip injections do not cause cancer

+1

Dermal fillers are an excellent option for lip augmentation. These are sterile hyaluronic acid based fillers that are composed of the same substance as the ground substance of our skin. For this reason, they do not elicit a rejection response by your body. Juvederm is an example of such a filler. This filler can be used safely throughout the body and will not cause cancer.  

Pat Pazmino, MD

Lip injections

+1

There is no evidence that repeated injections with a hyaluronic acid based filler, or any filler cause lip cancer. Sun exposure, tobacco, and alcohol may be linked to lip cancer.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD