What's the Best Lip Enhancement and Plumping?

What options do I have for lip augmentation?

Best options for lip augmentation

+3

For patients interested in fuller, more pronounced lips, I would recommend hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers such as Juvederm or Restylane.  I usually perform this in the office under local anesthesia.  The length of time these fillers last is variable, roughly 6-8 months.  These fillers really have minimal side effects and your surgeon can fine tune the result to the look you want.  The result is usually immediate, but as the hyaluronic acid pulls in water, you can detect a slightly fuller look over the next 3-4 days.  If you don't like the result, you have a day or so to massage the HA and dissipate the result.  If massaging does not't get rid of the HA, there is an enzyme called hyaluronidase that can be injected by your surgeon to break down and dissolve the HA.  Patients who desire a more permanent lip augmentation can have autologous fat grafting.  Despite the fact that only about 40-50% percent of the fat is retained after 6 months, the 50% that stays is permanent.  You may need several injections to get the permanent lip augmentation look you want.  I have also used Alloderm in the lips with good long-term results.  If you are interested in lip augmentation, I would always recommend a patient use a temporary filler like Restylane before using something more permanent to ensure the patient likes the appearance of fuller lips.

Glendale Plastic Surgeon

Prevelle Silk: The First Hyaluronic Acid Filler with Anesthetic in the US

+3

I have been fortunate to use Prevelle Silk hyaluronic acid filler with lidocaine on a few of my patients. It is the first FDA approved hyaluronic acid filler available in the United States. The word "silk" aptly describes the product as it flows and fills very smoothly.

It is too early for me to judge how long it will last, but if it lasts as long or longer than Restylane and Juvederm, this "new kid on the block" will rapidly become the most popular hyaluronic acid filler.

Patients have been very pleased with the comfort of injection, and I appreciate not having to use dental blocks to fill the lips.

Michael A. Persky, MD

Juvederm or Restylane

+3

Juvederm or Restylane

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip augmentation options

+2

There are many permanent options for lip augmentation people who undergo these procedures are thrilled with their results. The liplift surgery is permanent as is the Permalip silicone implant. As far as less permanet results, the fillers and fat injections look great but require continuous treatments.

Jason B. Diamond, MD

I prefer the hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane or...

+2

I prefer the hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane or Juvederm Ultra for lip enhancement. I think they provide a soft, aesthetically pleasing lip augmentation.

Although this is an off-label use of these products, it is becoming more and more common. The benefit is that the HA fillers fade away with time, and do not cause as much tissue distortion of the lips as some of the permanent lip implants like Gore-Tex or silicone do.

Jennifer L. Walden, MD

Hyaluronic acid based fillers for lip enhancement

+1
Lip enhancement with a hyaluronic acid based filler can help you achieve an improvement of your lips. Results are temporary, which is good because you can alter the results achieved on subsequent treatments to accommodate changing preferences. In addition, results can be reversed if you don't like them with a simple injection of hyaluronidase.  Generally, I use Juvederm products such as Volbella (specially designed for lip enhancement).

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Best Lip Enhancement and Plumping

+1
There is no "best" injectable for lip plumping.  The best filler depends on the basic structure and natural size of your lip and what you are trying to accomplish.  Thin lips would benefit from Belotero.  If you have a naturally fuller lip then Juvederm may be the best filler for you.  The best results depend on choosing a dermatologist with experience with fillers in this area.

Michele S. Green, MD

Lip Augmentation with Juvederm

+1

We use Juvederm most often in our practice.  It's very easy to administer, filling the lips gently and smoothly.  We have found it to be variable in terms of how long it lasts, but generally we see it lasting six months or even longer.  One other benefit is that it can be reversed with hyaluronidase, if for some reason you aren't happy with the result.

There are other options for lip augmentation.  One option is fat transfer, though fat is much more unpredictable in terms of it "taking."  Also, both a benefit and drawback of fat transfer is that the results are permanent.  For a first experience, we believe a hyaluronic acid based filler like Juvederm is a good choice.

Elliot Jacobs, M.D.

Elliot W. Jacobs, MD

Lip enhancement and plumping

+1

In the face it is a good idea to start with something non permanent. The soft and hard tissue of the face will change with time. We usually start out with a hyaluronic acid based filler, (i.e.; juvederm, restylane).  Best to see a few experienced injectors and see what they offer.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Nonsurgical lip enhancement

+1

which material is best to use for lip enhancement is always a question that patients ask. I have two preferences of the three that are most commonly used. My favorite is Restylane over Juvederm.  Belatero is another product made by the same company that makes Radiesse.  Just a note you can't put Radiesse in your lips.

After injection of any filler you can expect your lips to swell a bit or take on some water which is normal for hyalorics. The advantage of all of these fillers is that if for some reason don't like it it can be melted in an instant and enzyme.

If you're looking for more permanent results I prefer soft silicone implants such as the Permalip implant. It's easily placed but also easily removed if there are any issues. I tend to stay away from any implants that have a porous texture because the tissue grows into them and they feel a little more artificial and are more difficult to remove if there is some issue.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon