Can I Get "Pouty Lips" from Juvederm?

6 days ago i recieved 1 and 1/2 syringes of juvederm in my lips. I have had the typical bruising and swelling and totally expected that. That is listed by the makers of the product and I knew to expect it.

I did not expect the drastic loss of fullness once the swelling went down. I love the look of my lips as far as they are beautifully smooth. But wow the size is gone they look like my regular lips with a ever so slight pout and smooth. That's great but not what I was told and not what i paid $800 for. If I pay that kind of money I expect more results. I almost feel cheated and cheated more by the makers of the product than by the doctor. The doctors can't promise anything, they go on experience and what the makers tell them. I was told what I recieved was a lot compaired to other patients. My doctor told me most start with one syrnge. I go tomorrow to try and get what I went for.

I don't know how much more to do or am I wasting my money and this will always happen once the swelling is gone? How much does it take to look pouty? Please help me. I was so excited and now I feel like I want to cry, it has been a huge let down.

Juvederm lips - Do they look better now than before?

+4

Do you look better now than before you got it? That is the question. It is not whether you liked it better when you were swollen than now. it is only about the improvement relative to the way you were before you walked into your doctor's office.

Improvement from how you looked before is all that Juvederm - or any filler for that matter - can do.

Yes, it is true that all patients look better right after the treatment when there is a lot of extra swelling and the lips look real full, red, and shiny. it always goes down a bit.

Remember that the doctor isn't growing the external skin of your lips - all he or she can do is fill them. And there is a limit to how much a lip can be filled. If you used to have full lips that are now deflated, then you should be able to be quite well filled up with more Juvederm. But if you have naturally small and tight lips that were never very large, then if you add too much, they will just look like a sausage.

This is only supposed to be about improving you relative to the way you used to be. It is not about making anyone look pouty or like Angelina Jolie. It is just supposed to be a fuller version of yourself, the extent to which is determined by the amount of lip skin you have.

And you are correct - the stuff is very expensive. Very expensive. You have to decide if it is worth it for yourself.

Pouty Lips from Juvederm

+1

I am sorry about your disappointment. Juvederm and Restylane tend to create a very natural pouty look in the lips when injected by an experienced and skilled injector.  1 1/2 syringes is considerable.  It would probably not be cost effective so close to your original injection date. An injector or his/her staff have the obligation to set your expectations, but it seems that the product worked as it should have.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Lip Augmentation

+1

Lips can be made fuller, or more "pouty," with hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm, and Perlane.  Radiesse and Sculptra are not recommeded for use in the lips.  Often, there is some swelling after the treatment, which is expected.  In my opinion, a natural look that follows the normal shape and contour of the lip is more desirable than one that is overly inflated.  It is always possible to re-evaluate the lips and put more filler once the swelling has resolved. 

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Miami Beach Dermatologist

Pouty lip augmentation

+1

Lip augmentation has several goals in order to achieve beautiful lips.  Pout is one of the features of a sexy lip and can be achieved with hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane, or Perlane.  There are several techniques that a surgeon may use to inject the lips with these fillers and one of them techniques improved the pout of the lip.

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and Lip Augmentation

+1

Any temporary filler in the lips is a tricky thing. Unfortunately immediately after injection you will have some amount of swelling. What you want to see are the photos before the injections to see the change from your previous state. I would be very surprised if there is no change. Unfortunately we easily forget what we looked like only a few days ago, especially when something is changed. If you think you want more filler, go for it, but expect to pay more. Unfortunately those are expensive treatments.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm in the lips

+1

Juvederm injected into the lips is a great way to augment the lips. I would not be upset with anyone other than the expectations that you had from the amount that was injected. If you feel you need more to get the desired appearance than speak with your doctor, but expect to pay more. Each syringe is very expensive and some patients do require more to get the desired effect.