Is Juvederm Only Sold by Two Vials?

I went to see my plastic surgeon to have Juvederm added to my Rhinoplasty surgery in two weeks. I have already gotten Juvederm about a month and a half ago and its holding up well, so I just wanted a little bit to correct some very mild unevenness. He saw what I did and approved this but didn't specify the amount of Juvederm. However, the change is minimal and having had it done before I knew one vial was going to be enough.

When I went over to the financial lady she quoted me for two vials, when I asked her to double check she said they can only be purchased in 2's because thats how they're packaged. Has anyone every heard of this? Why would the packaging matter if each vial is sterile?

Normally I'd think they're just trying to rip me off but this the chair of PS at university hospitals - A very large and well known hospital in the area so I have a hard time believing it. The doctor is always busy so I didnt want to argue and just paid it but now I'm thinking I shouldnt have given up $550 so easily.

Juvederm is available and sold per syringe

+3

Hi, Juvederm is packaged from Allergan with 2 syringes per box, but this doesn't have any reflection on how it's sold to the patient. Currently, Juvederm syringes are pre-filled with .8 cc in a sterile package. When you are considering Juvederm to treat a nose, or a very small imperfection in the skin, under the eye, the full amount of a syringe may or may not be needed or used. This decision would be made for the patient's benefit.

A provider would not be doing anybody favors by "over-correcting" an area. We sell the syringes individually. We do not sell a portion of any syringe and we are unable to charge for a lesser amount used for treatment. Often, a solution for any unused portion is considered someplace else. An example: you would like a small amount used for non-surgical rhinoplasty, but half of the product is unused for this treatment.

A provider might suggest to use the remaining product in the syringe to subtly soften lines around the mouth or add a bit of volume to the lip.

Minnesota Dermatologist

Juvederm billing

+2

$550 is about average for a single syringe of Juvederm, not two syringes, so it appears you paid about what is normal for a single syringe of Juvederm.

Juvederm does come in packets of 2 but of course these can legitimately be used for two different patients.

It is best to air the problem directly with the doctor rather than have it bother you, even if he is Division Chief. However it appears as if the billing was about normal for a single syringe.

If you did get two syringes for $550, you got an incredible bargain, with a price so low it is probably a mistake... in your favor!

Brent Moelleken, MD

Miscommunication?

+2

It's true. Juvederm is sold by the manufacturer (Allergan) only in boxes of 2 syringes. But, many surgeons/derm/etc will sell the syringes individually. As you said, they are packaged separately in a sterile fashion within the box. The confusion may have been in the amount that you thought you needed and how much your surgeon thought you needed. I would definitely call back to check on it. If you only need one syringe and you have to buy two, then they should be able to hold the other syringe for you until you need it again in 9 months to a year. Give them a call.

Edward S. Lee, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Communicate your concerns with the surgeon

+1

Juvederm comes in a box with 2 individually wrapped syringes.  There should be no issue in injecting just one syringe.  Ask to speak with the physician for clarification of office policy.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Juvederm is sold two vials to a box: can be purchased separately.

+1
I've never heard of a policy requiring a patient to pay for an untouched syringe. Juvederm comes with two syringes in a box and they are packaged in a way that it's perfectly appropriate to sell them each to separate people. I would ask the surgeon directly about this, and if that is their policy for all patients, go elsewhere if you think that doesn't feel right.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Juvederm can be purchased by a single syringe

+1

Juvederm is an excellent hyaluronic acid based injectable that can be used effectively for facial contouring.

Juvederm is commonly used around the lips, the smile lines, the marionette lines, under deep wrinkles, under deep scars, and even under the area of the eye.

Although Juvederm is packaged with two syringes, in our practice is common for us to sell a single syringe to a patient. We just don't open the second syringe. Each syringe is individually and sterilely packaged.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Juvederm Ultra is available in individual syringes of 0.8 cc

+1

Juvederm Ultra is a hyaluronic acid filler that is commercially available in units of 0.8 cc. Your experience may not have reflected the surgeon's motives or policy, but rather the policy of the administrative office. Since Juvederm is bought in units of two syringes, it is understandable that a mistake could have occured. Just ask the surgeon and it should be remedied. You should only pay for what you need.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Speak to the surgeon about Juvederm packaging misinformation

+1

GG,

Don't be afraid to discuss the issue with your plastic surgeon. I'm sure that he/she is not trying to put one over on you.

The financial person may not know that the syringes in a package can be separated AND the plastic surgeon probably has no idea that his financial person is disseminating incorrect information. The surgeon will likely appreciate knowing what is going on once he/she leaves the consultation room. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Juvederm is packaged as 2 syringes per box.

+1

Most offices charge for Juvederm per syringe.  I suspect this issue will continue to bother you until you bring the matter up to your plastic surgeon.  He may have a reasonable explanation and would probably like to know of your concern.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Ask before being injected

+1
Juvederm is sold in packages of two, but, it is common to sell the patient a single syringe for use. I take extra time to go over the exact amount of filler I am recommending prior to injection of the filler. The changes can be subtle from injection of filler and patients feel like you do not have their best interest in mind if their bill exceeds their expectations. The answer you received from the front desk staff at the time of your visit was likely misinformation from the front desk, not the physician's policy.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon