Juvederm - Does It Expand After Injection?

Is it true that Juvederm expands after it is injected?

I had injections 1 week apart in lips and nasolabial folds. One syringe each visit. Not pleased with results. Doc wants me to wait as product expands...

Yes, but to a different extent in different injection sites.

+2

Juvederm can continue to expand up to several hours after injection as the material draws water into the soft tissue. The lips and lower eyelids are the most susceptible to this kind of filler expansion (less so in the nasolabial folds). The temporary swelling from hyaluronic acid filler injections typically resolves by 5-7 days after injection. In my experience, a single syringe of Juvederm product is usually adequate for the lips, though some people may need more than 1 syringe of product to achieve the desired results for the nasolabial folds.

San Diego Dermatologist

Yes, within the first few days

+2

Yes Juvederm expands within the first few days. The hyaluronic acid is hygroscopic, meaning that it absorbs water from the surrounding tissue. That is why your lips can swell a bit if you have eaten a salty meal or are retaining water. By two weeks after the treatment, the volume should be stable and you should have what you can expect as a result.

Hope this helps.

Min S. Ahn, MD
Westborough Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvaderm results will look fuller for 1-2 days, then settle

+1

Juvaderm  will attract water from the body and cause some additional swelling at the site of injection for 1 - 2 days.  This will settle and disappear relatively quickly.  Just the trauma from the injection can cause some swelling as well.  Correction of the area treated should be evident immediately and not dependant upon waiting for "swelling " to occur.  It sounds like you need more Juvaderm to the areas you wish corrected or be accepting of a lesser result if cost is a factor. 

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Juvederm and results

+1

Juvederm like all HA's absorb water as part of the process and will swell in the area a bit, it should dissipate rather quickly and I wouldn't expect to last. I tell patients that at the end of the procedure, what they see is really what it will look like for the time the product lasts.  It may go down slightly after the initial swelling subsides.

Juvederm absorbs water after injection, and then settles.

+1
It is normal to wait even up to three or four weeks after a Juvederm or Restylane injection to see what the final true appearance is, before adding more or fully evaluating the results. There is some tissue swelling due to trauma, plus the gel itself absorbs some water before finally settling to its longer term appearance. When evaluating whether to add more, it's not a bad idea to wait a few weeks to see how MUCH more is needed, to optimize that second visit and reduce the chances of needing a third visit.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Expansion of Juvederm after injection is minimal

+1

Of course there will be some swelling that occurs after the injection of any filler especially when the lips are done due to the trauma to the skin of the injections themselves.  However, the goal for Juvederm, Restylane and Radiesse treatments is for full but not overcorrection.  There is some expansion of the products after placement but it is usually minimal.  So if you are not happy with the fullness of the correction after the procedure, you should discuss this with your physician.

I hope I was helpful. 

Steven E. Rasmussen, MD, FAAD
Austin Dermatologist

Juvederm has mild does not have significant expansion after injection

+1

Juvederm is an excellent hyaluronic acid based injectable that can be used effectively for facial contouring.

Juvederm is commonly used around the lips, the smile lines, the marionette lines, under deep wrinkles, under deep scars, and even under the area of the eye.

Unlike other dermal fillers such as Sculptra, Juvederm does not significantly expand after injection. This allows Juvederm to create a smooth result and for the patient to immediately get an idea after treatment of the result that they will live with.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Juvederm volume doesn't increase after injection

+1

To Anonymous,

Hi. I am sorry that you are getting contradictory answers. Juvederm does indeed absorb water, but the useful point for the patient is that you should look good right after treatment.

I would not inject LESS than you need thinking that it is going to get bigger later. So you probably just need more Juvederm.

I always tell the patient how much Juvederm I think he or she will need, and how much it is going to cost. Then if the patient wants less (to save money), they know in advance that they will only get a partial improvement and they are not disappointed.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Juvederm does not expand significantly

+1

I have never used expansion of the product as an excuse for not injecting more product. The hyaluronic acids are hygroscopic, meaning that they attract water, but my understanding is that the water attraction is an isovolumetric phenomenon. This means that they attract water as they breakdown, merely maintaining their original volume, not expanding.

Certainly after one week any expansion phenomenon would have stabilized enough to proceed with further treatment to the desired effect.

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Expansion yes, but...

+1

True that Juvederm will attract water after it is injected. However, the final result of the filler is evident within just a few days. Waiting longer does not increase the overall amount of filler. I've found that one syringe of filler is usually enough for the lips.

However, the nasolabial folds can often take one syringe on each side. In some cases I've found that layering the folds with Radiesse injected deep and a hyaluronic filler, e.g. Juvederm, superficially really gives an excellent result.

Wait another week but if you're still unhappy have another discussion with your doctor.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon