When is It Okay to Do House Work After Mommy Makeover?

I had breast augmentation/ anchor lift/ tummy tuck with muscle repair and lipo of flanks and inner thighs. I am 9 days PO I carefully and lightly did dishes which required bending over and reaching. I also swept the floor lightly. Is this okay to do? Am I putting any stain on my core muscles? I feel fine and take breaks when I need it. I am an active athletic person 5'2 at 115-120 pounds, and I feel that has a lot to do with me recovering so fast. What kind of household chores are okay to do?

Ok to do housework 9 days afte Mommy Makeover?

+3

Every patient and surgeon is different, but you should still be taking it easy 9 days after your surgery.  Bending and reaching is OK, as long as you're comfortable, and not lifting too much, and not spending too much time doing it.  You had a large surface area of skin and soft tissue lifted and carefully tightened and sewn together to give you a great result, and too much activitiy puts undue stress on your incision.

So, try to take it easy.  And make your hubby do the dishes for a couple of days!

+2

If you where my patient in my pre operative and post operative instructions/informed consents I request at least 3 weeks of NO activity. That includes house work! But you are not my patient so best to call your chosen surgeon to discuss in detail. 

Activity after surgery

+2

Since mommy makeovers are my most common procedures I deal with this all of the time! Mom's don't know how to sit still!!! I know, I am one! I know you are going insane because there is clutter and mess everywhere you look since nobody else in the house seems to notice such things but you HAVE to let it go until you heal.   I tell my patients that they are at risk for bleeding for 2 entire weeks after surgery.   After that, you can get a little more adventurous but now is definitely not the time.  So, for the first time in years- put up your feet, watch tv, read a book, catch up on emails and relax:-)

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon

+1
I would not recommend that level of activity for 3 weeks after a mommy makeover.  Everyone heals differently and feels different after surgery as far a pain tolerance, but the real issue is to allow enough time for tissue healing.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Activity after MOM

+1

I generally recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity (no exercise) for 4 to 6 weeks after tummy tuck. After six weeks, I encourage patients to slowly resume exercise routines *gradually*. Remember, during the six week postoperative period - you will be deconditioned. I do prepare patients do notice some increased swelling once exercise is resumed. Over the next several weeks, this post-exercise edema will no longer manifest. Exercise itself will not help reduce this swelling.  If swelling manifests during your workout routine, you may benefit from use of compression garments.   But please check with your surgeon with respect to his/her specific recommendations.  Enjoy your results!

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Patients May Resume Light Activity for the First 2 Weeks Following Mommy Makeover; Bathroom & Kitchen Privileges are Fine

+1

Recovery times following mommy makeover surgery vary from patient to patient. It’s important to remember that this is an extensive procedure that combines cosmetic breast surgery, abdominoplasty, and liposuction of the hips and thighs. Because of this, returning to strenuous activity to soon after surgery can potentially have negative consequences.

We generally recommend light activity for the first two weeks following the procedure. Patients are allowed bathroom and kitchen privileges, but encouraged to minimize activity. Light ambulation in a slightly flexed position is encouraged to avoid the formation of lower extremity blood clots. After two weeks, patients are allowed to gradually resume normal non strenuous activities. Strenuous activities and heavy lifting are not allowed for at least six weeks. At six weeks, most patients are able to resume all of their normal activities.

It’s important to remember that every patient is unique. The specifics of their employment and procedure will have a significant impact upon their recovery. In some cases, return to normality will occur quickly, while in others who have more extensive procedures and who have more strenuous employment, it may take longer. Light house keeping that utilizes the core muscles of the abdomen will take longer.

Make sure you discuss this issue with the plastic surgeon who performed your mommy makeover. Your surgeon’s insights regarding your surgery will provide important information regarding resumption of activity following this procedure.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

+1

This is not the time to find out how much you can do.  The priority is for you to heal, and with minimal scar tissue.  Being too active may cause more scar tissue.  After 4-5 weeks, depending on how you are doing, then you may think of small household chores.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Housework after a mommy makeover

+1

You should follow the instructions of your plastic surgeon. Patients should generally avoid strenuous activity or heavy lifting (>25lbs) for 4-6 weeks after a tummy tuck and breast augmentation.

Address any specific activity questions to your plastic surgeon.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Too Much Too Soon

+1

Just 9 days following multiple surgeries, especially a tummy tuck, you are stressing your abdomen and breasts too much too soon.

You may develop fluid and swelling in the operated areas. Check this out with your surgeon.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Activity after tummy tuck / mommy makeover

+1

Each surgeon has their own protocol for this....so, it's best to speak with your own surgeon directly.

Our protocol is to really take it easy for the first 4 weeks....so, no sweeping or vacuuming or other vigorous cleaning activities.  We let people start to gradually exercise around 6 weeks, start non-abdominal workouts around 8 weeks, and abdominal workouts (golf, tennis, pilates, sit-ups, yoga, etc.) at 3 months.

Hope that helps!  

Thomas Fiala, MD