Is It Okay to Wait 3 Weeks Before Stitches Are Removed after Mommy Makeover?

I had a mommy makeover 2 weeks ago. I was supposed to get my stitches out (FTT/BA/BL) today, but due to taking too long and waiting 1.5 hours, I had to leave and reschedule the soonest 5 days from today. Should I be concerned? My PS doesn't seem concerned, but I've read some of the docs mention railroad track scarring.

Many variables

+2

I have very few sutures to remove as I put in mostly dissolving type sutures. There are too many variables in how different surgeons operate to be able to say whether or not a few days period will make a difference in your case. Your surgeon's word is the best thing you will have.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover and suture removal

+2

After a Mommy Makeover sutures may or may not need to be removed depending on the type of suture your surgeon used and how the incision was closed.  If the suture was run under the surface of the skin (intradermal) and you can't see it, it would be alright to leave it in for three weeks.  If the suture is seen on the surface of the skin - like a baseball stitch - it may leave a more prominent scar (railroad track) if left in longer.  Check back with your surgeon.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Suture removal

+1
I use dissolvable sutures for this operation. There is a lot of variability in types of sutures and techniques - best to trust your plastic surgeon on this one.

Grant Stevens, MD

Mommy Makeover Sutures

+1

This is entirely dependent upon the surgeon’s closure technique. The majority of surgeons utilize absorbable internal sutures that don’t require removal.

In some cases, non absorbable sutures are used. Under these circumstances, suture removal depends on multiple variables that are related to wound healing. The timing of suture removal is therefore dependent on these variables and the surgeon’s assessment of the wounds status.

If you have questions about suture removal it’s important to discuss them with your surgeon. Your surgeon has experience taking care of wounds and has detailed knowledge about your particular wound closure.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Suture removal

+1

Most if not all of the sutures with this surgery are placed subcuticularly. There are no skin stitches so railroading is not an issue

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

When To Remove Skin Sutures Post-Op

+1

I believe that removable permanent sutures and dissolvable sutures that don't need to be removed each have their place.  Each surgeon's technique is different, but scarring is scarring and I would recommend you try to get in as early as possible to get your sutures out.  

That being said, sutures in the armpit after a transaxillary breast augmentation can stay in over a week and actually leave no physical scars.  Sutures in the belly button that are tied only on the belly button side (half buried mattress nylon sutures) can stay in several weeks.  Sutures in the tummy tuck scar, in my practice, are out in 5 days.

You trusted your surgeon with your life and your looks and you didn't make any negative comments about them, so I kind of think he or she did a good job.  Therefore, trust your PS with the timing on suture removal.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

+1

The usual time of removal is 2-3 weeks, depending on how you heal.  They may be more difficult to remove if left in too long.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Suture Removal after Mommy Makeover

+1

Each surgeon is different with the type of sutures used during surgery...... I use mostly dissolvable sutures that do not need to be removed after surgery.

Your surgeon has your best interest in mind so follow the direction of your surgeon in regards to suture removal.

Best Wishes!

Best to do mommy makeover with dissolvable stitches.

+1

Hi.

A few days probably don't matter.  But we only use absorbable stitches that never have to be removed.  They never leave marks, they make the wound stronger for a long time, and they prevent scars from getting wide.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

+1

As Plastic surgeons we are ultimately known for the quality and subtlety of the scars we leave behind. While surgical technique is important none of our patients really understand the advantages of one technique over another as the way Plastic surgeons do. They DO understand a hidden inconspicuous scar as opposed to a thick, cross hatched ("rail road") scar. For this reason, Plastic surgeons spend a LOT more time on their skin closures than any other surgical profession. Because our reputation DEPENDS on how our scars look.

Stitches coming through the skin should ideally be removed BY 7 days or earlier. Leaving them in longer (2-3 weeks as in your case) will result in skin growing into the stitch hole creating cross hatching and rail-roading.  For this reason most of Plastic surgeons have stopped using through the skin stitches and have adopted the use of buried (subcuticular) stitches which do not need to be removed.

You REALLY should have your stitches removed ASAP.

Dr. Peter A Aldea