Is It Okay to Wait 3 Weeks Before Stitches Are Removed after Mommy Makeover?

I had a mommy makeover 2 weeks ago. I was supposed to get my stitches out (FTT/BA/BL) today, but due to taking too long and waiting 1.5 hours, I had to leave and reschedule the soonest 5 days from today. Should I be concerned? My PS doesn't seem concerned, but I've read some of the docs mention railroad track scarring.

Many variables

I have very few sutures to remove as I put in mostly dissolving type sutures. There are too many variables in how different surgeons operate to be able to say whether or not a few days period will make a difference in your case. Your surgeon's word is the best thing you will have.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

630 South Glassell
Orange, CA 92866

Mommy Makeover and suture removal

After a Mommy Makeover sutures may or may not need to be removed depending on the type of suture your surgeon used and how the incision was closed.  If the suture was run under the surface of the skin (intradermal) and you can't see it, it would be alright to leave it in for three weeks.  If the suture is seen on the surface of the skin - like a baseball stitch - it may leave a more prominent scar (railroad track) if left in longer.  Check back with your surgeon.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

2581 Samaritan Drive
San Jose, CA 95124

Is it okay to wait 3 weeks before stitches are removed after Mommy Make Over

An additional 5 days probably won't make much difference in your ultimate scarring. It would be best however to make sure that you do not wait much longer than the 5 days.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Stitches removal

While keeping the stitches in for a longer time may make your scars more visible, it really depends on the surgical techniques and suturing method your surgeon applied, as well as adhering to proper post-surgery instructions on incision hygiene and care.

Leaving them in for longer may not make a big difference, although it could make removal just a little more difficult. 

Leila Kasrai, MD, FRCSC

1243 Islington Ave
Toronto, Ontario M8X 1Y9

Stitch removal after mommy makeover

If they have been in place for 2 weeks, 5 more days likely won't make a significant difference. Good luck!

Bryan Correa, MD

4850 West Panther Creek Drive
The Woodlands, TX 77381

Suture removal after makeover

After a mommy makeover (or other surgical procedure) I would recommend getting the sutures removed within the time frame advised by your surgeon.  If sutures are removed too early the wound might open up, and if they are removed too late they might become ingrown or leave marks.

William Andrade, MD

490 Harry Walker Parkway South
Newmarket, ON L3Y0B3

Suture removal after mommy makeover

It really depends on the type of stitches used.  In some cases, the suture san be left in longer with no problem.  In others, leaving stitches in too long can affect the scarring or even cause infection.  You should call your surgeon right away and go back to be seen as soon as possible.  I never make a patient wait that long to be seen.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

9339 Genesse Avenue
San Diego, CA 92121-2119

Suture removal

I use dissolvable sutures for this operation. There is a lot of variability in types of sutures and techniques - best to trust your plastic surgeon on this one.

Grant Stevens, MD

4644 Lincoln Blvd
Marina Del Rey, CA 90292

Mommy Makeover Sutures

This is entirely dependent upon the surgeon’s closure technique. The majority of surgeons utilize absorbable internal sutures that don’t require removal.

In some cases, non absorbable sutures are used. Under these circumstances, suture removal depends on multiple variables that are related to wound healing. The timing of suture removal is therefore dependent on these variables and the surgeon’s assessment of the wounds status.

If you have questions about suture removal it’s important to discuss them with your surgeon. Your surgeon has experience taking care of wounds and has detailed knowledge about your particular wound closure.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Suture removal

Most if not all of the sutures with this surgery are placed subcuticularly. There are no skin stitches so railroading is not an issue

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

1035 Park Ave
New York City, NY 10028