After Mommy Makeover - When Can I Resume my Intense Workouts?

I am a very active person, and I love doing p90x and insanity workouts. When can I resume getting back to my normal workout activity, and will I have to build my strength up again?

When After Mommy Makeover - Can I Resume my Intense p90x and insanity Workouts?

+3

RE: "After Mommy Makeover - When Can I Resume my Intense Workouts? I am a very active person, and I love doing p90x and insanity workouts. When can I resume getting back to my normal workout activity, and will I have to build my strength up again"

A Mommy Makeover is usually a variable combination of a Tummy Tuck (with or without Liposuction) and a Breast Lift (with or without Augmentation). Other procedures may be included to get rid of the "Mommy Tummy" and get you your "Before Babies Figure" back again.

Cosmetic Surgery involves skin lifting, undermining and tailoring. In a Tummy Tuck the loose and separated tummy muscles are exposed, put together and tightened thereby flattening the poochy, protuberant tummy and greatly narrowing the waist regaining an hourglass figure. This requires putting in many stitches to hold the muscles together.

Your question is analogous to asking "How long after the shower is properly caulked can I use it?" Obviously, shower caulking has to cure and dry before it is exposed to running water. With a tummy Tuck, in the early healing phase the muscles are only held together by the stitches. As time passes, scar tissue glues the muscles together adding strength to the stitched repair AND as the tummy skin re-attaches to the muscles any pull on the muscles is braced by the skin as well. As a result, most surgeons would rather get you into the stage of skin attachment to the muscle and scar remodeling of the repair BEFORE you can engage in active abdominal exercise which will pull the repaired muscles apart and could tear the repair if done before more substantial healing has taken place.

I recommend return to "gentle" (non-abdominals) gym activities at 4-6 weeks based on the patient's progress and more vigorous exercises after 2 months.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Working out after abdominoplasty or mommy makeover

+3

The component of the mommy makeover that can suffer from excercise is the abdominoplasty.  An abdominoplasty involves stitches that tighten the abdominal wall in order to recreate the "hourglass" shape.  Hevy lifting can possibly break one or more of these important stitches.  For this reason I generally recommend waiting six weeks before any weight training.  Running and aerobic activity can resume after two weeks unless ther has been breast surgery in combination.  Running can cause a lot of trauma to the breasts so I generally recommend a minimum of four weeks in these cases.

Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Intense Workouts After Mommy Makeover

+2

Intense workouts that include a high heart rate, or higher blood pressure, or both, can be done after you've healed up completely.  This will typically be 4-8 weeks after surgery, but probably on the 6-8 week side.  You will probably be seeing your plastic surgeon several time after your procedure, so work with him/ her about getting permission before you hitting the P90X video "play" button!

Exercise Following Mommy Makeover

+1

The mommy makeover addresses redundant abdominal tissue with weakened muscles, loss of breast volume, breast sag and localized fat collections of the hips and thighs. Patients can anticipate limited physical activity for two weeks following this procedure. During the initial two weeks patients are allowed bathroom and kitchen privileges. At two weeks, they are allowed to gradually resume normal activities with the exception of strenuous activities and heavy lifting. Patients can usually return to work in two weeks if no strenuous activity is involved. After six to eight weeks patients can resume all their normal activities including strenuous activities, heavy lifting, P90X workouts, and insanity workouts.

It’s important to go slow at first and gradually resume your normal exercise program. Make sure you listen to your body. If you’re not ready for a particular activity, your body will let you know.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after Mommy Make Over

+1

This is what I tell my patients having tummy tucks:

1. No exercise x 2 weeks

2. Walking week  2-6. Yes, it can be power walking.

3. Resume full exercise at 6 weeks, starting at 25% of what you did before surgery.

Why? Exercise uses energy.

After surgery, we need that energy to heal.

If you try to exercise before you heal, you exhaust yourself and may damage your surgery.

Hope this helps.

Mommy Makeover

+1

Usually at 5-6 weeks, a light workout, followed by gradually increasing intensity is a good rule to follow.

Web reference: http://www.elitemdspa.info/

Danville Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after mommy makeover

+1

I prefer that my mommy makeover patients recover for a minimum of six weeks before resuming strenuous exercise.  If you have repair of your abdominal muscles (diastasis), I would recommend waiting at least two months following surgery to begin heavy lifting.

Web reference: http://www.drstoker.com/

Intense Workouts after Mommy Makeover

+1

For my mommy makeover patients, I usually ask that they wait at least 6 weeks prior to doing "intense" workouts.  P90X and Insanity are both very high intensity workouts (one with weights / other with cardio) that I would really ask that you be careful when you start.  Talk to your surgeon and get the "green light" so that you don't start too soon and possibly cause some problem.  Enjoy doing these workouts after you recover!

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm

TT and "insanity work-outs"

+1

I'd recommend 2 months before you do non-abdominal exercises, and 3 months before you do any abdominal workouts - or things that require a lot of twisting motions, like golf, tennis, yoga, or pilates.

I want your muscle plication to be very well healed before you "torture-test" it with a difficult workout like P90X.

Mommy makeover

+1

I recommend waiting 2 months.  You want to be careful not tear the abdominal sutures (the ones that hold the muscles together.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.