After Mommy Makeover - When Can I Resume my Intense Workouts?

I am a very active person, and I love doing p90x and insanity workouts. When can I resume getting back to my normal workout activity, and will I have to build my strength up again?

Working out after abdominoplasty or mommy makeover

The component of the mommy makeover that can suffer from excercise is the abdominoplasty.  An abdominoplasty involves stitches that tighten the abdominal wall in order to recreate the "hourglass" shape.  Hevy lifting can possibly break one or more of these important stitches.  For this reason I generally recommend waiting six weeks before any weight training.  Running and aerobic activity can resume after two weeks unless ther has been breast surgery in combination.  Running can cause a lot of trauma to the breasts so I generally recommend a minimum of four weeks in these cases.

Westchester Plastic Surgeon

When After Mommy Makeover - Can I Resume my Intense p90x and insanity Workouts?

RE: "After Mommy Makeover - When Can I Resume my Intense Workouts? I am a very active person, and I love doing p90x and insanity workouts. When can I resume getting back to my normal workout activity, and will I have to build my strength up again"

A Mommy Makeover is usually a variable combination of a Tummy Tuck (with or without Liposuction) and a Breast Lift (with or without Augmentation). Other procedures may be included to get rid of the "Mommy Tummy" and get you your "Before Babies Figure" back again.

Cosmetic Surgery involves skin lifting, undermining and tailoring. In a Tummy Tuck the loose and separated tummy muscles are exposed, put together and tightened thereby flattening the poochy, protuberant tummy and greatly narrowing the waist regaining an hourglass figure. This requires putting in many stitches to hold the muscles together.

Your question is analogous to asking "How long after the shower is properly caulked can I use it?" Obviously, shower caulking has to cure and dry before it is exposed to running water. With a tummy Tuck, in the early healing phase the muscles are only held together by the stitches. As time passes, scar tissue glues the muscles together adding strength to the stitched repair AND as the tummy skin re-attaches to the muscles any pull on the muscles is braced by the skin as well. As a result, most surgeons would rather get you into the stage of skin attachment to the muscle and scar remodeling of the repair BEFORE you can engage in active abdominal exercise which will pull the repaired muscles apart and could tear the repair if done before more substantial healing has taken place.

I recommend return to "gentle" (non-abdominals) gym activities at 4-6 weeks based on the patient's progress and more vigorous exercises after 2 months.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Exercise after Mommy Make Over

This is what I tell my patients having tummy tucks:

1. No exercise x 2 weeks

2. Walking week  2-6. Yes, it can be power walking.

3. Resume full exercise at 6 weeks, starting at 25% of what you did before surgery.

Why? Exercise uses energy.

After surgery, we need that energy to heal.

If you try to exercise before you heal, you exhaust yourself and may damage your surgery.

Hope this helps.

TT and "insanity work-outs"

I'd recommend 2 months before you do non-abdominal exercises, and 3 months before you do any abdominal workouts - or things that require a lot of twisting motions, like golf, tennis, yoga, or pilates.

I want your muscle plication to be very well healed before you "torture-test" it with a difficult workout like P90X.

Intense Workouts After Mommy Makeover

Intense workouts that include a high heart rate, or higher blood pressure, or both, can be done after you've healed up completely.  This will typically be 4-8 weeks after surgery, but probably on the 6-8 week side.  You will probably be seeing your plastic surgeon several time after your procedure, so work with him/ her about getting permission before you hitting the P90X video "play" button!

Roy Kim, MD

Recovery after Mommy Make Over

Typically a Mommy Makeover is a combination of some type of breast recontouring, abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and and liposuction of the hips and thighs. Of these 3 components tummy tuck requires the longest recovery. You should plan on staying home for 2 weeks after a tummy tuck. After that you can begin to reengage many day to day activities. Athletic activities which create stress on the abdominal wall should be carefully reintroduced at 8 weeks progressing to 12 weeks. More aggressive exercises such as sit ups and abdominal crunches (normally a part of the P90x work out) should wait for up to 12 weeks. Upper body restrictions will depend on the type of breast surgery performed. If a breast lift, without an augmentation, or a breast reduction is performed it is best not to raise your arms high above your head until healing is achieved. This normally takes up to 3 weeks. Unrestricted upper body activity can normally be resumed at 4 weeks. If an implant is used either for breast augmentation or in conjunction with a breast lift normal day-to-day upper body activities can normally be resumed in 2-4 days. It is best not to lift more than 10-15 pounds for 4 weeks after an implant is placed. Reintroduction of activity following liposuction is dependent on patient tolerance. There are usually no specific restrictions associated with liposuction. Good luck

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Your surgeon will tell you

You should wait for as long as your surgeon recommends. This can be from 6 weeks to 3 months, depending on what your mommy makeover entails. Generally, a tummy tuck requires a longer period of recovery.

When you first start working out again, please do so slowly and build up intensity gradually. Your body needs to get used to exercising again and you don't want to compromise your physical state by doing too much too soon.

More intense workouts need to wait awhile...

A mommy makeover is a great procedure to address many of the changes that occur in a woman’s body after pregnancy, delivering and breast feeding, but you do have to respect the magnitude of that kind of surgery and allow enough healing time afterwards if you want to heal without complications and have a good result.For the first week you will feel very limited by the pain and stiffness.During that time you want to only be up and around as needed at home (getting up to the bathroom and for meals only).By the end of that first week most people are off the pain meds and starting to get a little more limber and usually feel up to driving, but still tire very easily and need to take frequent naps and breaks.During the second week you will probably feel up to going for short walks or maybe doing some light desk work from home.I usually recommend not returning to work for at least 2 weeks even with a sedentary job because of the drained feeling and lack of energy most patients have.After 2 weeks most people can return to full days at work as long as they have limited lifting and can take occasional breaks. After 2 weeks I also let people begin slow walking on a treadmill or a leisurely pace on the elliptical machine as long as they keep their arms stationary.Lifting is still limited to 10-15 pounds until at least 3-4 weeks out depending on healing and swelling.From 3 to 6 weeks post-op I let people gradually increase the vigorousness of their exertion and heaviness of lifting as they feel up to it. Do not expect to feel up to or be ready for high impact exercise (such as P90x or Insanity) until you are at least 6 weeks post-op, and then only if everything has gone according to plan and then still wearing some compression for support while working out (sports bra, spanks, abdomen binder). Getting too active too soon can lead to some very serious complications such as bleeding, excess swelling, fluid collection and even popping stitches and opening up incisions.All of those things can worsen you final result and even endanger your health.The best advice is to listen closely to the restrictions your surgeon give you and not try to rush the healing process… you will get back to your very active lifestyle soon enough and look fabulous doing it!

6 weeks or so

You should probably wait at least 6 weeks before you do any of these activities again. However you should ask your surgeon for their advice.

Exercise Following Mommy Makeover

The mommy makeover addresses redundant abdominal tissue with weakened muscles, loss of breast volume, breast sag and localized fat collections of the hips and thighs. Patients can anticipate limited physical activity for two weeks following this procedure. During the initial two weeks patients are allowed bathroom and kitchen privileges. At two weeks, they are allowed to gradually resume normal activities with the exception of strenuous activities and heavy lifting. Patients can usually return to work in two weeks if no strenuous activity is involved. After six to eight weeks patients can resume all their normal activities including strenuous activities, heavy lifting, P90X workouts, and insanity workouts.

It’s important to go slow at first and gradually resume your normal exercise program. Make sure you listen to your body. If you’re not ready for a particular activity, your body will let you know.