Silicone or saline? - Will 425 cc in silicone look as big as 425 of saline?

I had a consult today.. and I have decided on silicone implants. It seems to me that saline look a little higher profile???

Saline vs silicone implants/volume

+2

Saline and silicone implants of the same volume (425 cc) will be the same size although the shape may vary in a subtle way. High profile implants do have more projection and this style is available in both saline and silicone.  I would try on as many of these implants as you can (in a bra) in order to find the size and shape that is best for you.

I use 3D imaging on my patients which allows them to visualize what they will look like with certain implants in place (saline/silicone/high profile/etc.) before having surgery.

Dr.Bruno

The look of silicone or saline

+2

If the implants have the same size and profile, and correct fill, both will look the same. Size is only a number. Your choice of a silicone gel implant is fine if you have done your homework and understand the differences. There is ample material on this site alone to guide you. Focus on the look that you want, the numbers your surgeon should take care of.

peterejohnsonmd

silicone or saline?

+2

You ae correct in checking the sizing. I like silicone but try to go up one size in them. Best to see your surgeon to try on different sizes in saline/silicone implants. 

Saline v. silicone

+2

Contrary to popular belief, you cannot, and should not, go by the volume. You will need to look at the dimensions, namely diameter and projection. While the volume are exactly the same, the dimensions will be different depending on the style and manufacturer. See my previouos posts.

Robin T.W.Yuan., M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Implants

+2

in my opinion, saline implants "look" a little larger as they do not have the same consistency and therefore "pop out" more particularly with patients with less skin. When i switch patients from saline to slicone, i usually suggest a little larger slicone implant to look similar in size...i personally like the look of silicone but that is a personal decision i let my patients make.

Michael K. Kim, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

+1

Saline tends to look just a bit bigger, and requires a small incision.  But, gel feels more natural, has no valve, and very durable.  There are different profiles so take that into consideration.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Saline vs silicone

+1

I agree that, in general, saline implants seem larger (more projection) than silicone implants (which tend to conform to the chest wall). Determining exact implant size is very difficult. Consult your board certified plastic surgeon to discuss the best and safest possible option for you. Every surgeon has a certain technique to determine the best implants to use. It is very important that I communicate with my patients prior to surgery to discuss the look they would like to achieve. Intra-operatively, I use sizers to determine the size and the profile of the implants to be used. This is best determined based on the patient’s body type and overall goals. The main difference between saline and silicone is the feel of the implant. Silicone gel is the more natural feeling of the two. Saline is not recommended for patients without enough coverage or breast tissue to begin with.

Mommy makeover silicone breast implants look a little smaller.

+1

Hi.

The apparent difference is around 25 cc's.  You should know that for most women, 425 cc's is quite big.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Size vs. other factors

+1

When comparing silicone and saline, if the implants have the same profile and the same volume and are placed in the same location (over or under), they should look the same in clothing.  There may be subtle differences in the way they appear outside of clothing, but they are just that -- subtle.  Also if a person develops a capsular contracture, there will be a difference in appearance. That can occur with either kind of implant.  Personally, I prefer to place saline implants under the muscle, since there is a greater tendency toward rippling with saline, which is less of a problem going under the muscle.  Good luck with your surgery.

Paul W. Loewenstein, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Saline or silicone, size matters

+1

Hi, the difference in dimensions between saline and silicone is a factor of the profile, diameter and volume of the implant.  Your surgeon will guide you between the different profiles and diameter, at the same volume, based on your expressed preferences on breast shape, cleavage, etc., and your physical examination.  The ability to distinguish the saline implant from surrounding breast tissue is easier than a silicone implant, especially if the implants are placed above the muscle.  So, it is easier to make a breast appear "larger" by placing a full/high profile, fully filled saline implant above the muscle.

Vaishali Doolabh, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon