Are Pre-op/post-op Vitamins or Supplements Necessary After Mommy Makeover?

I've read a lot about taking multi-vitamins (without vitamin E), Arnica Montana, and Bromelain pre and post-op. I normally take a multi-vitmain, vitamin C, calicium + vitamin D, magnesium, iron, and fish oil. I'm down to just my calcium and vitamin C to avoid vitamin E and other supplements that were on my list of "do not take 2 weeks prior to surgery."

Are Arnica Montana and Bromelain necessary or even safe? I'm worried they may trigger migraines (which I have a history of)or be unsafe.

Mommy Makeover and pre and post operative vitamins

+3

Although Arnica and Bromelin are believed to aid in reducing bruising and swelling after a surgery, I would not take them if there is a issue that they may trigger a migraine.  I would also suggest avoiding high doses of Vitamin E two weeks before and after the surgery, as there may be an increased risk of bleeding.  With larger procedures, such as a mommy makeover, I do recommend that patients take a multivitamin with folate and iron to promote healing and to help restore hemoglobin levels following the surgery.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Vitamins/supplements before surgery

+3

You should avoid vitamin E for about 2 weeks before surgery. A multivitamin is usually fine to take before surgery. Arnica and Bromelain will help reduce bruising and swelling; they are safe to take before and a few days after your surgery.

Ask your plastic surgeon before surgery if you are still unsure of what to avoid.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Vitamins/Supplements and Mommy Makeover surgery

+3

Arnica Montana and Bromelain are homeopathic remedies for bruising and swelling. I usually suggest it as an option to my patients, but do not require it. Your bruising will be covered by clothing anyway so if you are worried about possible migraines then I would skip it. I do recommend taking a good multiple vitamin both before and after surgery along with a healthy diet for optimum healing.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Health supplements

+3

Many of the health supplements contain active ingredients in significant amounts. Some of these are blood thinners. I ask my patients to stop all supplements 3 weeks before surgery. There is very little evidence that theyincrease healing or decrease bruising

Regular mutivitamins are encouraged in normal doses.

Supplements and Mommy Makeover

+2

Just like exercise generates a demand for calories/nutrition the body is working harder than usual after surgery to heal. Here are some guidelines, but supplements are usually not "necessary."

• I usually recommend at least 80 grams of protein/day in the peri-operative time
    • protein is the building block of healing and immunity/resistance to infection
    • your body's protein demands are greatly increased to heal after surgery
  • I also recommend high-potency vitamin supplements to aid in healing
    • Healing especially requires vitamins A, B, C, D, E, and Zinc
      • Best to delay E until post-op as it can contribute to more bruising
    • Arnica and Bromelain are not essential to healing
      • they seem to help reduce bruising and swelling
      • if you are concerned the may aggravate your migraines, it is reasonable to omit those

This extra work also leads to feeling fatigued. Listen to your body: get the rest you need.
    When your body is working harder, it also needs good hydration!

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

+2

Every practice has their own system of what they believe works best for their patients.  Discuss this with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, and they will develop a plan for you.  Typically, all you need is a multi vitamin and some like the bromelain in addition.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Vitamins and Plastic Surgery

+2

I normally do not "require" and pre or post operative vitamins.  If a patient has a balanced diet before and after surgery, everything should be fine.  We do offer arnica for patients who want to reduce the post operative swelling / bruising (usually after facial surgery but can be used for any surgery) but again, I don't require it for any patient.

No supplements necessary after mommy makeover.

+2

Hi.

You know the things to avoid.  We use Arnica and Bromelain after facial surgery because it is so important to get rid of bruising in the face as soon as possible.  If you have bruising in your abdomen for two or three extra days, it does not matter.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Vitamins and Supplements Usually Not Necessary Before Mommy Makeover

+2

With a regular diet in the US, most patients do not need a supplement or boost before surgery. 

Some of the supplements you list are known in homeopathy circles to possibly reduce pain and swelling.  The plastic surgery litereture is less clear, so it's probably OK to take echnincea/ arnica/ bromelain/ other things, but it's questionable whether these supplements help that much.  They are probably OK in moderate doses.

I usually recommend making sure you have a good diet or taking vitamins AFTER surgery.   Your body can't store many vitamins and minerals, and you will probably not be able to eat normally right after surgery, so vitamins and minerals can help your depleted stores right after your Mommy Makeover.

Also, i usually recommend that you make sure to eat plenty of protein, or even more than normal, after surgery.  Your body is in a "catabolic" state after your Mommy Makeover, so your body may need extra protein to heal.  The normal US diet has plenty of protein, but again, after a Mommy Makeover, you may not be eating normal amounts of food. 

I usually direct my patients toward healthier food sources of protein, such as beans, quinoa, and other veggies if you're a vegetarian.  If you're an omnivore, than wild fish, organic or grass fed red meat, and other healthier sources are my recommendations.

Roy Kim, MD

"K-I-S-S" (Keep it simple for the surgeon)

+2

Mama P: A Mommy make over usually includes procedures designed to improve areas, which pregnancy has challenged: breasts, belly, buttocks, etc.  As there are so many things which will occupy your attention, post-op, it is my belief that additional homeopathic meds are surplus to requirement.  Using the acronym "KISS", keep it simple for the surgeon/surgery by avoiding unessential meds, which are of dubious value and may actually predispose you to unwanted side effects, such as migraines.  I generally request patients to continue their regular multi-vits (which contain 200iU Vitamin E, which will not cause excess bleeding). Calcium, Vitamin C and Iron are not contraindicated.  Good luck. 

Lavinia Chong, MD