Heavier After Lipo

I had liposuction performed 10 weeks ago and prior to this my heaviest weight was 55kg. I weighed myself the other day and i now weigh 59kg after very regular exercising and eating well for the last 2 weeks. I dont look like i have put on weight (especially after i wear the garment at night i look skinnier), but i dont understand why I have gone up 4kg after surgery. I had my whole thighs done, saddle bags, love handles and lower abdomen..

Swelling After Liposuction Not Unusual And It Can Last A Long Time

+1

Liposuction is basically meant to reduce bulges, and if that occurred, then your plastic surgeon did his or her job.  Some people retain fluid after liposuction, and this can go on, unfortunately, for a very long time.  I measure my patients weekly, and keep a record in the chart with a copy to them so they can follow their progress.  People can lose lots of bulges and never see any weight change. 

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Weight gain after cosmetic surgery and liposuction

+1

It is not uncommon for individuals to retain weight in the form or fluid secondary to inflammation following liposuction for up to 6-9 monhts. It is better to focus on the goals achieved with better fillting garments than to get obsessed with a specific number.

Liposuction and weight gain

+1

Usually after a few months as the body goes back to normal, provided that all else is equal, patients may notice a slight drop in their weight.  The reasons for your weight gain maybe multifactorial ( i.e. over eating, increase muscle mass, etc..) DIfficult to say

Weight gain after lipo

+1

This sometimes happens and the question is why?This could be fluid and also if your lean muscle mass has increased this also could explain the gain.As long as you look better after the lipo continue to exercise and eat healthy.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and weight gain

+1

The weight that is lost from liposuction removal of fat is minimal as fat has a very low density and weight. There is much fluid, swelling, edema after surgery that even when not visible, the tissues become heavier from the fluid. This decreases over time. If you still have concerns, then you might want to see a nutritionist as a calorie count could be enlightening. Unless you took medication before surgery that you no longer take, such as thyroid supplements, or quit smoking just before the liposuction, or took appetite suppressants before the surgery and have not continued them now, there is no direct cause and effect of liposuction making you heavier in the long run.

Ronald Shelton, MD