Lipo of Mons Pubis and How to Reduce Swelling/Edema of This Particular Area?

I believe this is a very challenging area to reduce swelling because I sit all day at work. Its only been a week since my surgery and i do understand that swelling will eventually go down in weeks to months, but i have not yet seen any improvement. The swelling in the area is very hard to the touch and skin is not pliable. I have worn a bodysuit 24 hours a day. I am extremely worried that this could be a long term problem. What is your experience for patients on this area week by week?

Swelling after Liposuction.

+1

The mons pubis,  like every other area treated with liposuction surgery  may remain swollen for many months after the procedure. The firmness your feeling of the area suggests fluid in the soft tissues that requires time to dissipate. I tell patients it may take 6 months to a year for skin to redrape  completely.

Liposuction, Recovery, Swelling

+1

In my experience, it takes 4-6 weeks to see 86% of the result, 3 months to see 95%, and six months to see all of it, so you're still at a very early stage.

However, there tends to be even more swelling of that region (the mons pubis) than many others, undoubtedly because it is an area that has so much blood supply to begin with combined with the fact that it is relatively inferior (low), particularly when you sit.  I am more likely to use drains when I do extensive lipo of that region because of that.

You can massage the treated areas but you should not hesitate to contact your plastic surgeon to report on your recovery and to make sure that, at some point, it's not a small collection of fluid that could otherwise be drained.  This is not common but it can occasionally be helpful to remove some fluid if it's backed up; your surgeon should be able to help you with this.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

One week post op and mons pubis

+1

Since you are only one week post-op from liposuction it is quite common to have swelling of the mons pubis. Give it time to heal.

Persistently swollen mons pubis after surgery

+1

One of the best methods of minimizing swelling is by applying compression. This is very difficult in the pubic area compounded by the fact that it is the most dependent (lowest) portion of the belly making it the preferred drainage site for abdominal fluid collections.

Liposuction Swelling

+1

Liposuction of the mons is a very effective procedure.  The area undergoes the usual swelling and bruising but over the course of 8 weeks or so this fullness will subside with an improved contour.  Enjoy your journey.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Firmness and swelling from liposuction in the suprapubic area

+1

Swelling may be prolonged in the lower abdomen, suprapubic area. It may feel quite hard. Warm compresses may help provided your surgeon agrees for you to do them. Your surgeon can see you and reassure you that there is no collection of blood underneath (hematoma).

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction of the mons pubis

+1

In my expereince, this is a very important area to treat by liposuction and have done so many many times.

You are only one week after treatment which is way to early to be concerned. Such patients also not uncommonly have bruising and swelling of the scrotum or labia in the female.

In spite of the swelling, however, an improvement in the area is often seen even at one week.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon