Tretinoin and rosacea skin. (photos)

Hi, I've been using tretinoin 0,05% cream, once a wk for the past 3 wks. I think my skin had rosacea before. These are the photos of my skin now. I used it 3 days ago, and it was the third application I had. I see those red bumps, my skin used to be flawless, just slightly pink on the cheeks. Should I stop now? I was planning to use tretinoin for the winter season, starting once a wk for 3 wks, then 2 times a week for another 3 weeks etc till reaching the use of it everyday, around the week 20th

Tretinoin

congrats for taking great care of your skin.  I love tretinoin but you may need another medicine for your skin.  You may want to research the National Rosacea Society or Break up with your makeup. Stay #skintastic. 

Fort Smith Dermatologist

Rosacea and tretinoin

It is not a good idea to use tretinoin if you have rosacea as it is irritating to the skin and can cause more breakouts.  There are many effective treatments for this but be sure you see a board certified dermatologist

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Titrate tretinoin for skin

Rosacea is very complex and a tailored treatment program give the best results. This is because there are many types of rosacea (telengtctatic or capillaries, flushing and redness, acne like rosacea, ocular rosacea and even rhinophyma rosacea.)

To add to the complexity, everyone has different flare factors- Sunlight, stress, foods, chemical irritants, creams, changes in temperature, alcohol. The list goes on. I regards to your question, titrate the dose of tretinoin- either dilute the concentration with moisturiser or use less often. Tretinoin can help with acne, and rosacea, but it can also irritate your skin. Finding the correct dose is important and only you can figure that out. Your treating dermatologist can guide you as to the application and ways to decrease skin irritation - retinoid dermatitis. 

A detailed history, together with a treatment tailored according to YOUR type of rosacea will give the best results. As a guide, I use a combination of -

1. Lasers ( to treat redness, broken capillaries, rhinophyma, flushing)- best laser is the V BEAM. IPL can be used, but usually not as effective

2. Creams - anti inflammatory

3. Tablets -anti - inflammatory and sometimes low dose Vitamin A. 

4. For females- Mineral make up is recommend, over make up that contains parabens. 

For the best results, consult a dermatologist for both medical and laser treatment options. 

Kind regards.

Dr Davin S. Lim.

Laser Dermatologist.

Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist