Is it possible to vomit while under anesthesia after having mommy makeover surgery?

I am planning on having a MMO next spring 2017. I will be 38 YO, I am 5'5 and 164 lbs. I have 3 children, and I am currently 3 months postpartum, so I am working on getting down to normal weight by the time I have surgery. I had 2 c-sections and each time as the spinal block was placed I became terrifyingly nauseous. The anesthesiologist said I must be sensitive. I am scared of this happening again during or after surgery. Is there anything I can do to prevent nausea before and after surgery?

Preventing Nausea During and After Mommy Makeover Surgery

Preventing #nausea begins during #surgery with a good #anesthesiologist who uses the ideal combination of medications before during and after.  Also, restricting the use of #narcotics as much as possible can help as well.  I prefer prescribing #Exparel to my patients post-op for 3 days which will also aid in pain #relief. 

Nausea and vomiting with surgery

there are several things you can do with the help of your surgeon. A scopolamine patch may be placed behind the ear a few days prior to your surgery. Also a phenergan suppository may be placed at the time of surgery. Be sure to alert the anesthesiologist because there are other drugs which can help during and after surgery as well. GInger ale is great for after surgery because the ginger will help those feelings.

Susan Kaweski, MD

Nausea Problems with Anesthesia

Hello 'katiemcc1a', thanks for your question.  Some patients are very sensitive to certain medications and anesthetics are no exception.  With the knowledge of your past experiences, it is critical to relay this information to whoever the anesthesiologist is for your mommy makeover surgery.  Many times they can administer an anti-nausea cocktail in the pre-op area, usually consisting of a combination of steroids, anti-histamines, and anti-emetic medications. It goes without saying that you also need to be NPO (don't eat or drink anything) after midnight of the night before surgery.  Otherwise, be sure you seek a board-certified plastic surgeon for your surgery and make sure they operate in a certified surgery center or main hospital.  Feel free to contact us if you would like a consultation and good luck!
-Dr.92660

Nausea with surgery

There are many things the anesthesiologist can do to help reduce nausea.  There are medications that can be given before, during and after surgery to help alleviate nausea and vomiting.  During surgery full intubation can also be done to reduce risk.  Discuss your history with your anesthesiologist so that he/she can take extra measures for you.  Best wishes!

Camille Cash, MD

Thank you for your excellent question.  There are many adjunct measures that your anesthesiologist can administer to help avoid nausea and vomiting - scopolamine patches, limited narcotic use, and full intubation.   If you are an otherwise healthy individual without significant health issues the risk of anesthesia is quite small.  Best wishes on your future surgeries!

Mommy make-over - what will control the nausea.

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.Scopalamine patches and steroids intravenously greatly reduce the nausea around surgery. However my guess is that your problem was related to the anesthetic in the spinal block. What is used for general anesthesia is quite different - but let the anesthesiologist know of this problem before your surgery. Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Vomiting during anesthesia

Thank you for your question. I would definitely discuss this with your anesthesiologist before surgery. They will most likely choose to fully intubate you which would help decrease the chance of aspiration and they may also put a tube into your stomach to decompress the contents. There are also a number of medications that can be given . Best of luck. 

Patrick L. Basile, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

DrDerby

It will be important to discuss this with your surgeon and the anesthesiologist regarding this issue , so that they can make you as comfortable as possible. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Your surgery should be done under a general anesthesia and as part of that process your airway is controlled to prevent any stomach regurgitation from entering your lungs. Vomiting under a general anesthesia is extremely unlikely but we want to prevent that and thus you will be told to have nothing to eat or drink for at least 6 hours prior to surgery so your stomach will be empty and thus there is nothing to vomit. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Nausea before and after surgery

First of all you will be under general anesthesia but please talk with the anesthesia physician about your history. They can take many steps during and after your surgery to manage this problem. This is manageable for sure. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon