Why did my period come back after surgery ? And how long will it last?

I had Brest Aug , lipo of flanks and abdomnioplasty 3 weeks ago. My period came day before surgery. And stopped at its regular time. 1 week later it came back and has been here ever since. It's been 2 weeks now. This is crazy. My doc says its normal as the body is stressed. When can I expect it to stop ? Or is there anything I can do ? Please help

Mommy make-over....my period came back a week later!

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Strange as it sounds, the hormone changes from surgery can bring on your period, make it start up again or make it stop -
  • There is no way to predict when it will stop - it may be a few days or several more weeks.
  • BUT if you have been having heavy bleeding for two weeks, you should notify your gynecologist.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Interesting Period Returns Post-Op

Hello and thank you for your question. It definitely does sound interesting as your body being under a stressful condition can make your cyclical monthly event take place more often than normal. If you are able to attempt to relax in hopes of everything coming back to normal there would hopefully be the results of your doctor and that it will happen on its own. However, I do agree with the others in the fact that if this continues much longer there would be a good reason to see your gynecologist with the question. Best of luck!

Visit your gynecologist

Menstrual cycles can become irregular at times of stress, from surgery and anesthesia. It should not be a problem. If concerned, please visit your gynecologist. 

Prolonged Period After Mommy Makeover

I have not had this happen with any of my clients that I know of. It sounds hormonal and could se a sign of stress. However, I would seek a consultation with your OBGYN to address it. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon