How to check credentials for plastic surgeons in Dominican Republic?

I would like to have tummy tuck, lipo, bbl & breast reduction. As scary as it is going out the states for surgery how do I check that plastic surgeons in DR have valid certificate & credentials?

Dr derby

All the doctors from the Dr that are affiliated with Real self have gone through a thorough examination of the background credentials. only doctors that are members of the board of Plastic surgery can become member of Real self.   There are lots of great surgeons in the DR , i would recommend you to ask for info and quotes with various an then see with whom you feel most comfortable. I am sure you will have a great experience.Best of luck

Cosmetic Tourism

I recommend that you consider all options before traveling abroad for your cosmetic surgery. I practice in NYC, and I have seen far too many serious and harmful complications resulting from surgery in the Caribbean. Issues like serious wound infections, tissue loss and questionable operative techniques result in complications that are expensive and hard to fix. Please balance the risks and your personal safety against the perceived advantage of cheaper cosmetic surgery, because in the long run, it can cost you a lot more, both monetarily and in personal harm. Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Mommy Makeover - Finding A Surgeon in the DR?

Thank you for your question. Finding the proper surgeon is critical to the success of your mommy makeover. You need to find a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who specializes in body contouring procedures. The ASPS website will provide a list of properly trained surgeons. I suggest having your surgery close to home so your plastic surgeon can provide appropriate follow up care. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work. Hope this helps.

Finding the right surgeon

Pregnancy and motherhood are wonderful and exciting times in a woman’s life. Many women, however, will experience unwanted permanent physical changes that are not always desirable. All too often, women find it emotionally and physically difficult to adjust to these new changes in their bodies affecting their self-esteem and personal self-image. These changes vary greatly and range from stretch marks and varicose veins to the more significant changes such as, smaller and sagging breasts, enlarged waist with redundant skin and larger hips.
Fortunately, there are many treatments available to correct or improve these common post-pregnancy changes. Many of these procedures are non-surgical or relatively simple outpatient surgeries. Some treatments are possible because of new technology such as lasers and liposuction developed in just the last few years. These surgeries are commonly known as the “mommy makeover”.

Far more important than deciding if a tummy tuck or a mommy makeover is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that!
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!
I have also attached a video for a possible Mommy Makeover Candidate.

I would encourage you to make your decisions carefully; medical tourism although certainly cheaper, may not be the safest way to proceed. Select your plastic surgeon based on the quality/safety record. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work and preferably communicate with some previous patients as well. Make sure you also consider factors such as follow-up and treatment of complications that may occur, even in the best of hands. Best wishes.

Check ISAPS and have arrangements for after care before overseas surgery

Verifying the credentials of a surgeon in another country is only one issue, and for that I would recommend that you look for a member of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, All good surgeons sometimes have patients with complications or other issues that need to be addressed long after the surgery, so having some sort of arrangement for follow up closer to home should be a priority before going overseas.

Richard Baxter, MD

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery.  In the United States, we have all seen patients come back after having surgery in foreign countries with major complications and their surgeon is not there to care for the complication.  This is something you need to consider when selecting a surgeon.

Aside from that, it is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Seeking a Surgeon & Approximate Costs of a Mommy Makeover

A Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  The costs of a #Mommy Makeover will depend on several factors. Such include the geographic location, the skill and experience of the surgeon, and operating room and anesthesia fees.  Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.   Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

DR - surgery

Thank you for asking about your surgery in the Dominican Republic.
  • It is inherently unsafe to have surgery in a foreign country done by a plastic surgeon you have never met.
  • If your surgeon is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgery or is ABMS Board Certified in Plastic Surgery, s/he is at least well trained.
  • Please note that there are many reported problems with surgery in the DR.
  • These have included -
  • patients returning with serious infections.
  • Deaths in the DR during cosmetic plastic surgery.
  • Poorer standards and poorer facilities
  • And the impossibility of getting adequate post operative care when you have any long-distance surgery.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS