Am I Too Young for an Advanced Mini Facelift? (photo)

Hi, I'm 37 years old and have been considering an advanced mini facelift. I had the one stitch lift about two years ago which must have lasted approximately four days! My skin isn't wrinkly but does not seem to have much elasticity. Neck is fine but after weight loss (and always having a slightly 'baggy' face) I've decided that things have got to change. This op sounds ideal as it supposedly lasts and (I think) will tidy the nasal labial lines and bagginess, but would anything else be better?

Facelifts in young patients with elastic skin.

Facelifts in young patients with elastic skin and neck bands need a regular facelift since they will return quickly without removing them. That is why minilifts you see on TV at a few months look good and they do not show long term photos which skilled facelift surgeons do. You may need a cheek lift for your nasolabial creases.

Too Young for a Mini-Facelift?

You look like a good candidate for a mini-facelift.  I see some excess in the nasolabial folds, some marionette lines at the corners of the mouth and some platysmal banding in the neck.  These issues respond well to a mini-facelift in my experience.  I do well over 100 of these each year with very high patient satisfaction.

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

Just from your photos, I think a combination of facial fillers or fat grafting  and a  lift may be the right thing for you. An exam in person is key to get a proper evaluation.

Minilift, nasolabial lines, filler, sculptra, perlane

Your experience with a minilift is fairly typical.  Minilift gives mini results.

The nasolabial folds are the furthest away from the incisions in front of the ear and therefor show the least improvement with a skin only facelift.

There appears to be some loss of volume in your cheeks as well.

To correct these issues options include a midface lift to reposition the nasolabial folds and elevate the cheek tissue over the cheek bones.

Less aggressives approaches include volumizing of the cheeks and filling of the folds with Perlane, Sculptra or fat injections.

Please consult in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making any treatment decisions. Cheers

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Age for Mini Facelift

There is really no magic age for a mini facelift, or any type of cosmetic surgery.  Patients do this when they need it.  Everyone ages at a different rate.  Some patients have real soft skin that tends to sag at an early age, while others have good elastic skin, and always look younger than their stated age.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Facelifts

Do not know what the surgeon means by ADVANCED??

In general stay away from brand name facelifts.

Consult  aBoard Certified Plastic Surgeon (American Board Of Plastic Surgery).

In general  a mini face lift, or also called a short scar facelift will deal with the nasolabial fold and the jowlrs.

A full facelift will deal with the nasolabial fold, the jowles and the neck.

Understand what the surgeon is correcting the extend of the scar, the pros and cons of each proposed procedure and the risks, then make your decision.

From the pictures posted you seem to be a candidate for a mini facelift, I do not see a lot of neck lines in the pictures.

Facelift and Necklift Under Local Anaesthetic

Most of my patients want a facelift however do not want the downtime associated.  The Concept Facelift and Necklift is the procedure I perform, which combines the latest surgical techniques with the use of local anaesthetic to dramatically reduce the risks associated with traditional facelifts, while significantly reducing the bruising and downtime of your recovery, from months to a matter of days. 

If you have lax facial skin, lost volume and feel that you have jowls and wrinkles on your cheeks and you look tired when you're not then the concept facelift can help improve your appearance. With concept facelift you will look natural and fresh just like the way you feel inside. There are no bandages, drains and hospital stay but with lasting results of traditional facelift techniques it fits with today's age.

What are the benefits of a local anaesthetic facelift?

• Minimally invasive as it is a short scar facelift
  • There is minimal bruising and swelling, especially when compared to traditional facelifts
  • As the procedure is performed under local anaesthetic, you can go straight home following the procedure
  • Full recovery in a matter of days rather than months
  • Significantly less risk than Facelifts performed under general anaesthetic
  • Fresh, youthful and long lasting results

Standard aftercare for a facelift includes, sleeping upright for the first week to minimise a collection of blood forming, showering and washing your hair every day post surgery and drying using a hairdryer on a cool settings, not allowing pets to sleep in your room or on your bed. Painkillers as prescribed by the surgeon, antibiotics if needed and prescribed by your surgeon. 

Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.  All The Best 

Hello Steph D!

Thank you for your question and photos. In general, aging begins in their late 20s, and the signs of it become perceptible by 30-35 and people starts to lose  facial volume, that cause appearing the folds, furrows and facial lines, sometime "marionette lines". By the age of 55 -60 years these changers are permanent already, that are difficult to correct with a facelift alone. 

If a 37-year old woman isn't happy about her appearance and thinks non-surgical treatments  don't work for him, then she becomes a candidate for a facelift. I think a combination of stem cell riched fat grafting and a SMAS lift may be the right thing for you. An exam in person is a must to get a proper evaluation.On the other hand your upper lids, eyebrow and forehead seems fine. That means lifting these upper face parts do not seem plausible at the moment but again an exam in person is key to get a proper evaluation and final decision.

Best

Ercan Karacaoglu, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

The Ideal Age to Consider a Facelift

A person’s age is best guessed by the appearance of their face. If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel inside, you may be a candidate for a facelift. During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect. If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives.

Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. Like the Life-Style™ facelift, this is a modified facelift, individualized for each patient, that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.
The best candidates for #LiteLift are non-smoking patients 35-60 years old with early changes of the lower face and the neck. But whose skin has elasticity with well defined bone structure. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™.

Patients with elastic skin

You are a candidate for a facelift.

However you are a better candidate for a facelift that adjusts the deep tissues upwards than for a 'mini lift' alone.

A mini lift will tighten your skin somewhat, but not do enough to the deep layer to give you an optimal result.

Strategic volume replacement will give your face a prettier, softer look as well.

Brent Moelleken, MD