How often should masseter Botox be redone?

I have pretty severe bruxism- I grind my teeth at night and during the day clench down my jaw almost constantly. I've gotten 35 units in each masseter 10 days ago and it's been a godsend. I also already notice a slimming effect. How often should I get it re-Injected to keep me from clenching & further slim down?

Botox For Bruxism

Botox does work well to help alleviate bruxism and teeth grinding by softening and weakening the masseter muscle. The Botox treatment can last up to 6 months. Botox will also improve then shape and contour of the masseter by causing atrophy. This should be done in the hands of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist.

#plasticsurgery#drrodrohrich#botox

Botox For Masseter

Botox is a great treatment for the masseter muscles. It should relax this area for up to 4 months. Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

How long does Botox last for masseters

Botox results usually last 3-4 months but I find that with the masseters the results can last longer, up to 6 months, especially after the patient has had a few treatments. So plan for 3-4 months, and hope for 4-6 months.

Botox for masseter

The effects of Botox last for 3-4 months. This is how often you should get the injection. You should also get a sleep test to exclude possible sleeping disorders. I do this as a routine for all patients with clenching.  Clenching is a sleeping disorder that is often associated with and caused by sleep apnea, a serious sleep disorder. Botox injection is a symptomatic remedy not treatment. 

Botox for Masseter Muscles

Botox usually lasts 3-4 months, so you should be able to be treated again after 3-4 months when the Botox begins to wear off. I suggest consulting with an experienced dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer

Masseter and Botox

the masseter is a large and powerful muscle and you may need a larger dose but generally it should be done about every 12 weeks to keep from having the problem with bruxism

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox – What to expect

Thanks for your question. This is a question that we get asked often by our patients. As far as Botox treatments, muscle hyperactivity would likely require treatment 3 times a year. Botox effects can last anywhere from 4-6 months and with recurrent treatments, this will lead to mild atrophy of the muscle, and some prolongation of Botox's effects. Botox effects are never permanent, however, if you elected to stop, your muscle would hypertrophy back to its original size. These are advanced techniques so be sure to get an experienced cosmetic dermatologist consultation for recommendations and treatment options

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Botox for masseter hypertrophy or bruxism

Botox typically lasts anywhere between 3-4 months. You should get a subsequent treatment at those time intervals. After a few treatment sessions, you will see that one of the the chewing muscles (masseter) will shrink and your lower face will look more narrowed. After a few treatment sessions (2-4), you can start spacing the repeat Botox treatments out to every 4-6 months. You should follow-up with your physician to come up with a long-term treatment plan. Best wishes!

Thomas J. Walker, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello Finallysophia,

I am glad to hear that Botox is helping to provide you relief from your jaw clenching.  The Botox you were given will last about 3-4 months, so that is when you will need to be redosed.  After 3-4 treatments you can usually start spacing that out more as the muscle weakens.  It's also important to discuss the timeline with your physician injector in order to maintain the result and relief you finally were able to get.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Masseter Botox

Glad to hear that your masseter Botox injections have worked so well!
Botox is typically redosed every 3 months.  However, after several treatments, especially with masseter muscles injections, you will notice that the effects will last longer and future injections can be delayed to every 5-6 months.
Best of luck

Clyde Mathison, MD
Knoxville Facial Plastic Surgeon