I rubbed my eyebrow after Botox. What are the chances I will experience a bad effect from this?

I had Botox in my forehead, the 11s area and crows feet. About 5 hours later I had an itch on my brow and and scratched at or above and below the brow hairs with medium to hard pressure completely forgetting. What are the chances I will experience a bad effect from this?

Displacing Botox

This is really a great question and thank you for asking it.  As other providers have mentioned, he should have no concern regarding displacement of Botox.  The main concern is active manipulation at the time or immediately after injection.  The line share of your results is achieved in 1 week and completion of diffusion throughout the regions is achieved by 2 weeks.  Hopefully this helps to answer your question.

Be healthy and be well,

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rubbing injection area 5 hours after Botox

Hello and thank you for your question.

Rubbing or scratching an itch at your Botox area in 5 hours after treatment will not affect your results. I am not worried for you. Remember that it can take up to 3 weeks for you to see full results, and many experience results within the first week. If you remain worried, talk to your injector, they will welcome your questions and put you at ease.

Kristin Tarbet, MD, FACS

Massage after Botox

Massaging will not affect the botox once injected. I suggest you see an expert if you continue to have concerns. Best, Dr. Emer.

Rubbing the eyebrow after Botox

Botox injection is one of the most commonly performed office procedures. It's safe when properly administered and there very little to do in terms of after care or restrictions.

Scratching or rubbing the brow inadvertently probably won't do anything, especially 5 hours after the injection.

If you have any concerns, I recommend returning to your injector so they may examine you. Safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Side Effects

Thanks for your question. This is a question that we get asked often by our patients. The most common SIDE-EFFECTS of toxin injections include: Swelling, Redness, and Bruising at the site of injection. Complications are rare and only temporary, but may include paralysis of other nearby muscles, temporary eyelid ptosis (dropping of eyelids, 2% risk, lasts 2-3 weeks), temporary brow ptosis (dropping of eyebrows, 2% risk, lasts 2-3 weeks), cross-eyes, ectropion or edema of the lower eyelid, dry eyes, double vision, transient headaches (10%), local numbness (lasting 2-3 weeks), flu-like symptoms, rash at the injection site, pain at the injection site, infections, and bruising (need to avoid blood thinning medications). Cold compresses may be used immediately after treatment to reduce swelling only if needed. This may be applied for 3 minutes, 3 times per day, for up to 3 days. This is best done with a bag of peas in a zip lock bag. Only apply light pressure to the area. Only take Tylenol if you get a headache or migraine.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Rubbing Botox'd area

After 5 hours, it probably won't have any effect. There is not anything that can be done. Wait it out and see. If there is an issue, many times an experienced physician can adjust things with a small dose of Botox.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Rubbing after Botox

There is no problem with this . even though patients are cautioned about rubbing the area that is really referring to massaging it heavily and 5 hours later there is absolutely no issue

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Not a problem

Itching or rubbing the eyes or the area around it does not cause any problems. Neither does bending or lying down after injections, rest assured!

Neda Vanden Bosch, MD
West Palm Beach Physician

Botox

There is absolutely no problem with you rubbing or itching the area you have been injected. 
Enjoy.

Grant Stevens, MD

Itching Face after Botox is Fine #botoxseattle

• You haven't caused any harm after rubbing/itching your eyebrow/forehead after your Botox treatment
  • Thanks for sharing!