Huge Mentalist muscle. Any suggestions? (photos)

Hi all, My mental is muscle is very pronounced and it's uneven plus asymmetrical . I suffer from TMJ which causes the lip incompatance. Would Botox really remedy my issue? I would like something a bit more permanent but cannot see an implant working as the muscle is so large and uneven. At suggestions would be appreciated.

Mentalis and Botox

Given the size and asymmetry of your mentalis muscle, Botox is really the best answer for you. an implant would probably make things worse

Nashville Dermatologist

Mentalis muscle

Hi there, thank you for your photos and questions.

Botox is an option to relax the mentalis muscle, I use it a fare bit on patients who strain their chin and have dimpling. It is possible botox to the mentalis could really help you soften the chin and achieve the results you are looking for.

I would need to have a little more information before deciding what to recommend for you. For example, it looks like in the photo your mentalis is contracted. If you relax your chin, can you still close your lips? Also, is your TMJ due to jaw asymmetries or more to teeth grinding and stress?

You can always try botox and if you don't like it, the effects will wear off.
You can use botox in the mentalis to soften the muscle without paralyzing the  muscle.

Hope this helps!

Myriam Loyo, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Large mentalis, Botox?

I think you need your mentalis to keep your lips closed. If you weaken it, I don't think you will be happy. Fixing the underlying problem is probably a better idea. I'd see an orthonagthic surgeon to discuss option.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Mentalis muscle

Thank you for your photos. It appears you do have a pronounced mentalis muscle. Lip incompetence is one common reason for mentalis strain where the muscle is "overworked" to keep your lower lip up against your upper lip. Botox does help to temorarily relax the mentalis muscle and allow it to reduce in size overtime, similar to paralyzing a limb and the muscles shrinking over time. However, if you are constantly straining your mentalis muscle to achieve lip closure, you may be less able to keep your lips closed once the botox weakens your mentalis muscle. Other options to permanently fix mentalis strain include jaw and chin surgery (orthognathic surgery) which does not require an implant and rather adjusts your own bone structure to better proportions and functional positions. For the best surgical treatment options, it is important to visit an orthognathic or craniofacial expert for an in-person examination. Best of luck!

Prominent chin

Hi, the first step would be a consultation by an experienced plastic surgeon. The solution to improving your appearance ranges from treating you non-surgically with Botox, to performing chin reduction surgery and implant placement. Either way, I believe an improvement can be achieved that will meet your satisfaction. I wish you all the best! 

Arnold Almonte, DO
Roseville Plastic Surgeon

Botox for the chin

Thank you for your question Faithlu. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. In the lower face a small amount of Botox can be placed in the mentalis muscle on the chin to help with dimpling. Caution must be taken as if the Botox spreads to the adjacent DLI muscle a temporary asymmetric smile can result. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Botox for large mentalis muscle.

I recommend Botox as the best place to start.  It can really help a lot.  I have not had a lot of experience in injecting this area but I have found that many of my forehead Botox patients require a little less Botox over time, probably because the muscles that are injected atrophy some from disuse.  You will need to go in for repeat injections but the dose and cost my decrease over time.

I do not think a chin implant is going to help this. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Botox and fillers for chin

Yes, Botox can be used to relax the mentalis muscle which is clearly contracted in the photos you present. Often times, filler also help in this area. I would see an expert Botox injector for a consultation.

Mentalis -- Botox and Fillers

This area can be treated with botox and fillers, I suggest you see an expert who treats a lot of patients in this area.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Mentalis Muscle Treatment

Hello, thank you for sending the photo as well:)
The mentalis muscle is a paired muscle which creates an upward movement of the chin.  We often treat this muscle as it can create a "pebbly" chin appearance similar to a golf ball.  It can also be treated, as in your case, to minimize a pronounced muscle.  We typically start with 4-6 units of botox (although some patients may need 8-10 units) and it works quite well.
Best of luck.

Raminder Saluja, MD
Huntersville Ophthalmologist