Keloid scar on lip from TCA (Photo)

I was treated with 100% TCA on a flat wart on the border of my lip. A very small amount was applied with a toothpick right on the wart. It crusted then the crust fell off and revealed a hypopigmentated spot which later became hard like a cheloid (but not too hard). I know cheloids are treated with steroid injections but since that can worsen the hypopigmentation, what are other alternatives to aesthetically treat that scar? It Is very noticeable and i have to mask it all the time with lipstick

Treating hypopigmentation

Thank you for your question sachinette10. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Chemical peels are used to enhance the appearance of the face. High concentrations can be used to treat warts. A keloid is defined as a scar that extends beyond the area of the initial insult. It is more common in those with dark skin and is seen frequently on areas such as the earlobes when they are pierced. Hypopigmentation, on the other hand, is when the skin becomes lighter. Often times fractional lasers with topical Latisse can help re-pigment the skin. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Encino Physician

Lumigan and injections for keloids.

I know the risk of hypo pigmentation esp in darker skin types. I usually still perform this procedure, but use Lumigan and if needed phototherapy to stimulate the pigment cells. Steroid injections still the best. You can use this with a laser (drip technique). See a laser plastics or dermatologist specialist for treatments. All the best, Dr Davin Lim Laser dermatologist. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Keloids/Scar -- Fraxel, 5fu/steroids, pulsed dye/vbeam/yellow laser, microneedling/PRP, surgical removal

this can be treated with a combination approach. I suggest seeing an expert for laser or injection options. Best, dr. Emer.

Scar Therapy

Thank you for your question. There are many options for you. Your scar can be improved both in texture and color. Through the utilization of steroid injections, lasers and topicals, blending can be achieved. Best wishes.

Greg Chernoff, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon