Should a deep facial be done before a tca peel?

To me it makes more sense to get the chemical peel first than the tca peeling.

Hydrafacial vs acetone scrub

Over the years I have gone from AHA and vitamin A preps prior to TCA peels, through to the old fashioned acetone scrub (still the best), and now the Hydrafacial (like Emer). This is a form of microdermabrasion that allows the peel to penetrate faster. My protocol is a Hydrafacial just before the TCA. Frost faster, penetrates better. Having said that, in all honesty, a really good acetone scrub using gauze will do the same. Also done this with gamma sterilised fine grit sandpaper (for treating really bad sun damage skin)- works a treat. Many ways to prep the skin- your Board certified plastics or dermatologist will have their own method that they are comfortable with to give you results -  safely. All the bestDr Davin Lim

Brisbane Dermatologist

No Real Need For Microdermabrasion Preps Before Chemical Peeling

Unfortunately, your question does not state the purpose(s) of your intended TCA peeling treatment: e.g. photodamage, fine wrinkles, acne. I have been performing all forms of chemical peels, including differing strength TCA peels, for over three decades. I have found a vigorous cleansing with degreasing agents, such as alcohol and acetone, immediately prior to the actual treatment, to be sufficient permit to promote better and more even penetration of the treatment solution. If by deep facial, you are referring say to microdermabrasion, as a rule, I do not find microdermabrasion, for any purpose, worth the time or money, despite the hype that surrounds it. Originally described as "epidermabrasion," microdermabrasion, as a result of its the very superficial exfoliating effects, can pretty much be duplicated by the vigorous home use of a Buf Puf, Loofah, or even a rough washcloth. If on the other hand, by "deep cleaning," you are referring to physically cleaning out comedones (blackheads and whiteheads) and having acne cysts injected with antiinflammatory agents, a process often referred to as acne "surgery," this may be quite helpful. The important thing is that you make certain that you are treated by a board certified aesthetic physician with expertise and experience in chemical peeling. Best of luck to you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

TCA peel and frosting -- DO NOT DO AT HOME

I often have patients do a hydrafacial right before or dermabrasion to prepare the skin.  Ensure appropriate pre and post skin care.  Best, Dr. Emer.