I had Botox injected on the crows feet of my eyes yesterday. Is this just swelling?

The under eye bags have swollen significantly. Less than 24 hours post injection. How long will it take before my eyes go back to normal. Assuming this is just swelling from the injection? Can I put ice on it and massage it? Will this help?

Swelling after Botox

Thank you for your question IKbaglady. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. With any injection there is a risk for swelling, which can last up to 2 weeks. I recommend that my patients apply cold compresses such as an ice pack and sleep on an extra pillow to reduce the swelling faster. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

BOTOX in Crow's Feet Swelling

Thank you for posting your interesting question. Most often, patient's do not have much swelling after Botox and can return to work immediately. Since it is less than 24 hours, I believe that the swelling will improve by the next day if you maintain head elevation and avoid strenuous activity. If it persist beyond this, then I recommend that you check in with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon injector. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

Swelling after botox in crows feet.

After Botox is injected in your skin, you may experience redness and swelling at the injection site. Sometimes there is a tiny pink dot where the needle was inserted, but this mark goes away after a few minutes. Any post-Botox redness and swelling is usually temporary, with skin returning back to normal after 15-20 minutes or at most a few hours. Ice packs are usually applied before and after Botox injections to prevent any redness and swelling, but if you do experience redness and swelling, they will go away on their own without you having to do anything. Sustained swelling might be a sign of an allergic reaction or due to a vessel being bruised. It is better to follow up with your doctor sooner than later to get the area assessed. 

Neil Sadick, MD

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your swelling development.  In most cases Botox treatment to the crow's feet will have the swelling resolve within minutes to hours after treatment.  Your swelling should improve quickly and I would apply cold compresses and keep your head elevated to avoid worsening.  Best wishes.

Eye swelling after botox

It's difficult to assess so soon after injection, but if you don't have outright drooping of the eyelids, a little swelling may be normal.  I would put a cool compress on the area and avoid massaging it.  Give it another day or two but definitely let your practitioner know as soon as possible.  He or she may want to reassess you promptly.

Reza Tirgari, MD
San Diego Physician

Botox for Crow's Feet and Swelling

Botox is a great way to remove Crow's feet around the eyes.  The swelling can last for a few hours and I would ice and sleep elevated.  If the swelling persists I would return to my treating physician for examination.  Best, Dr. Green

Eye bag swelling after Botox - pack your bags

In my experience, swelling after Botox should be negligible. If you do have swelling, I'd discuss with your doctor. It can represent a bruise or relaxation of the lower eye lid. If the lower lid is relaxed in some people, this will prevent the proper lymphatic drainage. This takes months to improve. I would probably go to a different injector in future. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox

If the botox was injected into the lower lids, it may take 4 months. But if it was just injected laterally, then it may be swelling and may take a  day or two.

Eyelid swelling with Botox.

Swelling in the eyelids can be seen especially in people with a tendency for water retention. In a few more days, it will dissipate. You might consider icing from time to time for a speedier recovery. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Botox and undereye swelling

Some swelling can be seen under the eyes after Botox injection in patients already prone to getting undereye swelling. I would gently massage the undereye area to help expedite resolution. The swelling will in most cases resolve on its own shortly after injection.