I have an appointment for Botox at 10:30 am and a tooth extraction at 1 pm. Are there any issues with that?

Botox aftercare

Thank you for your question flemdogyogi. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. After a Botox treatment I recommend that my patients avoid lying flat for 4 hours as this can move the Botox and lead to possible side effects. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox appointment

It is recommended to not do any exercise for 24 hrs post injections . Do not bent front or backwards after injections as well since you want the botox to stay in the place where injected .

I would recommend to change your appointment .

Joseph Doumit, MD
Montreal Dermatologist

BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment before a dentist appointment

Hi Flemdogyogi,

After BOTOX injections you are to avoid exercise for 24 hours as well as laying down and putting your head back as you would at the dentist's or when having your hair washed at a salon. Laying down/putting your head back may increase the risk of diffusion, meaning the product may travel slightly to a point we do not want to go. It is precautionary and best practice for BOTOX patients. I would reschedule the BOTOX treatment! Best, Manish Khanna, MD

Manish Khanna, MD, FRCP(C)
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Dental work after Botox

Since Botox is an elective treatment, I would recommend you wait for a day or so after your dental procedures. I ask patients to refrain from lying flat for 4 hours after Botox treatment. Better to be safe than sorry.

Pamela Stuart, MD
San Jose Physician

Botox and Dentist

This is actually a very good question. Many patients ask what they can and cannot do before and after Botox injections. I advise ALL my patients not to lie down for 4 hours post Botox as well as not exercise or put their head back for 4 hours. Being at the dentist involves laying down so i would advise to either go to the dentist before your botox appointment or on another day altogether.

Botox and dental work

It is ok for you to get the Botox injection. I would avoid fillers though. I tell patients to avoid having dental work for 2 week before and after filler injection to minimize risk of infection. This rule applies to fillers but not Botox. 

Botox and then dental appointment?

It is quite alright to have this done. I tell patients to not exercise for 4 hours. No filler should be done. I tell patients to wait 2 weeks after fillers to have dental work. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox scheduling

Since you will not be able to relax and not have the area of the Botox rubbed it would be better to not have them done on the same day

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

I Have An Appointment For Botox At 10:30 AM And A Tooth Extraction At 1 PM. Are There Any Issues With That?

Thank you for your excellent question.  I would suggest that you delay your Botox treatment until after you have healed from the tooth extraction (no facial swelling present) in order to see the best cosmetic result.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

I have an appointment for Botox at 10:30 am and a tooth extraction at 1 pm.

Botox, like Xeomin and Dysport, is a medication injected into target muscles of the face to selectively relax them for fewer and softer wrinkles. 

Cosmetic procedures should be performed in the ideal setting. I recommend avoiding facials, massage, or other appointments requiring you to lie down the same day as your Botox injection. You want the best outcomes, so it's not worth it to rush your procedure. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon