I had 1ml of Juvederm to even out lips & increase the size. A week later, and the filler has almost gone. What can I do? (Photo)

I went back to see my doctor and he also agreed. He added a further 2ml. I went back to see him again and he was amazed as to how much of the filler had gone in such a short period of time. He advised that the only other possible solution was perminant. I then decided to get another opinion by seeing another doctor who inserted 0.5 ml at the top of my lip. But because it was such a small amount, I haven't seen much of a difference.Is there any product out there which has got a thicker tolerance?

Dermal filler and lips

Thank you for the question.  It would help if you had a "before" photo to see the difference.  Juvederm Ultra plus is what I use in patients' lips , it has a larger molecule and lasts longer than Juvederm Ultra which is a smaller molecule.  Both can be used in the lips but you may want to try the Ultra Plus next time.

Juvederm has excellent longevity

Not sure why this has happened.   There are 3 types of juvederm......Juvederm ultra,  juvederm ultra plus, and juvederm voluma.  I generally use ultra plus for lips and the longevity is excellent.   See exactly what your doctor is using. Juvederm ultra often has a quite short longevity.    Juvederm is an excellent product so something is not right here.

Juvederm and Lips

Juvederm is a great filler for the lips and generally lasts about one year.  I am confused as to why it would disappear so quickly with you.  I would recommend returning to your treating physician for evaluation and perhaps you need additional filler.  Best, Dr. Green

Juvederm for the lips

Hey There

Thanks for the question.  Juvederm ultra or ultra plus can be used for the lips, and which one depends on what you are trying to do.  The enhancements should be done with ultra, if you are looking for longer lasting volume to the lips then Ultra Plus might be a better option for the lip volume itself.  I think your lips look great at 4 weeks.  Your lips look swollen and too ducky in the immediate and 4 day after pictures.  I would advise on not putting any more fillers in your lips or you will look unnatural.  

Good luck

"The above answer has been given without seeing this patient and cannot be substituted for actual in-person examination and medical advice; it is only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Lip augmentation

Your present look is more natural and aesthetic.......................................................................................................

Lip filler - vanished in weeks

Thank you for your question about your lip Juvederm.
  • The fullness you had in the first 2 weeks is from swelling, not filler.
  • Your 2 week result looks very pretty - but without before photos, one can't say what difference there is.
  • The only way to know what is going on is to compare before photos with photos taken 2 weeks after your last filler.
  • If you had 3.5 cc of filler, you should have very full lips.
  • If not, you would seem to be  rapidly breaking down hyaluronic acid and lip implants may be the only solution.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lip filler

Need to see a before picture to really judge here.  It would be very unusual for all the filler to go away.  with the 2cc of filler you look very overcorrected.  At 2 weeks you look great - this is how you want the lips to look after injection.  I would not be adding anymore at this point! 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

More volume desired for lips.,

Thank you for discussing your interesting problem. Your lips look great at the point. It would be very helpful to see before photos. If Juvederm products do not work well for your lip augmentation, you could try Restylane products. Although both materials are similar, they may react differently for you.
Good luck,

I had 1ml of Juvederm to even out lips & increase the size. A week later, and the filler has almost gone. What can I do?

Hello Maryxxx,

First off, your lips look great at two weeks.  They have a great shape and proportion.  I would be very wary about adding more volume which could create an overdone look.  However, if you want more volume, there are other fillers that can create more volume.  These are generally not used in the lips because of their thickness, but they can be.  I never recommend permanent lip injections because what looks good now may not look good in 20 years with the natural volume changes that take place in the face.  

I'd recommend you continue to follow up with several physician injectors to see what options exist for you.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler has almost gone. What can I do?

Cannot tell based on the series of photos that you have shown. In the end how many cc did you get? By my count almost 3 cc? that is a lot for the lip.  In the last photo, your lip actually looks fine to me.  again without a pre treatment photos cannot compare.  I think you look fine. Enjoy your lips.  
Dr Vasisht

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon