Can smoking after Juvederm change the shape of the lip?

I am meant to be getting Juvaderm on Saturday but when i asked my doctor about it when i booked it she said not to smoke for a few days as she had a patient that the lip dropped from the movement of smoking after the injections. Is this true? I don't want to have a ruined shape but smoke reguarly.

I would listen to the advice of your doctor.

I would listen to the advice of your doctor. It is possible that smoking can affect the filler and change the shape of the lips, and it is much better to avoid it for at least a few days following injection as the filler settles. I’m sure you’ve heard this before, but smoking is a prime cause of premature aging in addition to increasing the risk of cancer, so if you can, it’s better to quit altogether.

Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Smoking and Lip injections

Smoking can change the shape of your lip so it is always a good idea not to smoke after injections.  Best, Dr. Green

Juvederm and smoking

Thank you for asking about your Juvederm injection.

• Yes, it is reasonable that the pressure of a cigarette over the Juvederm gel can change its position.
  • I suggest you take your doctor's advice.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS