I have scar tissue that developed after a face lift and neck band surgery. What can be done? (Photo)

The surgeon saw me after six months and agreed that there was scar tissue and to try massage. He agreed with me that a moderate level dermapen treatment done might help. It is no better. There is discomfort in this area and it is sensitive to touch. He stated that the last resort would be cortisone. IWhat options do I have?

Answers (10)

Neck Scarring after Face and Neck Lift

There are remaining platysmal bands that appear vertically in your neck. In addition, there is a nodule on one side under the chin. Best improvements will be accomplished with revision necklift surgery. Non-surgical treatments will likely disappoint with lack of benefit.

Scar? platysmal bands?

Hi.  It's not clear from just the photo whether the irregularities in the neck are due to subcutaneous scarring, platysmal bands, or irregularities in the fat contouring.  This would take an in-personal physical exam to determine.

Depending on the specific etiology, corrective procedures and treatments can be given.

You may wish to get a second opinion.
Thomas Fiala, MD
Thomas Fiala, MD
96 reviews

Scar

I really do not think that the photos show appropriately what is going on there - I do see some minimal platysmal bands but no other obvious scar. In both cases there are many things that your surgeon can do to help.
Vartan Mardirossian, MD
Vartan Mardirossian, MD
Jupiter Facial Plastic Surgeon
53 reviews

Inadequate repair of the platysma bands would require a revision.

In my opinion it looks as though the platysma bands have not been satisfactorily repaired during the original facelift. If this is the case it will require a revision.
53 reviews

Neck deformity after facelift

I cannot be certain of the nature of these bands without an exam.  I might be hesitant about the use of intralesional steroids if the problem stems from a paucity of fat overlying neck bands.  Ask your surgeon if he has a colleague to refer you to for a second opinion.  Time can be your friend too.  Best wishes.
Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Why the neck bands?

These bands may have several etiologies.   They could be scar.  They could be recurrent neck muscle bands.   They could be a result of excessive fat removal.   At any rate discuss this with your surgeon.   This type of banding obviously does happen.   The correction would be a neck band procedure sometime after you are one year from your initial procedure.   Even after one of various procedures the bands may persist so  they do not always go away.  My Best,  Dr C    PS   If muscle, try Botox.  This can be easy and pleasing and you avoid more surgery.  My Best,  Dr C
George Commons, MD
George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon
36 reviews

Scar tissue after facelift

Hi and thank you for the question.  It is hard to ascertain what the cause of your irregularities from the pictures provided.  I would suggest you keep following up with your Plastic Surgeon to see if they recommend any other treatment modalities.  Generally, its best to wait a little longer before considering any further surgical options.  Good luck with everything!
Tushar R. Patel, MD, FACS
Red Bank Plastic Surgeon

I have scar tissue that developed after a face lift and neck band surgery. What can be done?

Not sure if scar bands or just the muscle banding over the internet. Best to seek a few in person opinions......

Scar Tissue after a Facelift

It is difficult to tell the underlying cause of the irregularities of the neck region from the pictures you posted.  These irregularities can have a few causes including but not limited to:

1)  Scar Tissue
2)  Recurrent neck banding
3)  Uneven or over aggressive removal of fat in the neck
4)  Uneven swelling

Each of these causes will have a different treatment.  For scar tissue, I would recommend massage, injection with 5-Fluorouracil, and time (safer than cortisone in my opinion).  If the area is recurrent neck banding, you would need an additional touch up procedure.  Uneven swelling will improve with massage and time.  

The hardest problem to fix is over aggressive or uneven removal of fat.  I find that cause difficult to treat.  

I would continue to try conservative and non-surgical treatments for at least 1 year after your surgery.  Most of these issues will resolve with time.

Neck issue at 6 months

Without an exam in person it is difficult to say what is going on with your neck. It is probably best tow it a full year for things to really soften before undergoing any additional surgery.
30 reviews

Ask a Provider

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors.
FOR FREE.